Mainline base mixes

carp hunter

Reaction score
Hi all was just wondering if any of you have any experience with mainline basemixes,I have found 10kg buckets for a resonable price but not sure what one to go for.

I was thinking of going for the active8 as I am planning to pre-bait and use it right through the winter/spring,so it needs to be easily digestable.

I would be grateful for your views on this base mix or any other that can be obtained for a fair price,a milk based one would be even better!Thanks.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Carp hunter,
I've never used it myself but Active8 has been reccomended on here in the past by some of the guys with big fish on their list.

F

Frothey

why a milk based one?

activ8's excellent, but grange with strawberry-ade or sweet-ade and milky toffee would be my choice

C

Cakey

Mainline Essential Opal is the best they do..............................only my opinion !

L

Little Stu!

Got to agree with Cakes on the mainline base, I've still got a 10k tub of the stuff here, essential opal that is, got another 10k tub of mainline something or other knocking around too.

Argh well, all good for groundbait and vitalin adding...

R

Rodney Wrestt

Stu,
so do you rate it or not? or is it the other mainline mix you would add to vitalin?

the only base mix I've ever bought is the Source and I use it as a paste so this is not my thang.

how long does an unused mix last, any ideas?

E

EC

I have got some activ8 boilies for the odd change of bait, they've caught me tench, bream,barbel and carp, so i'm not complaining!

Why is the essential opal better in your opinion please lads? Whats the difference between that and activ8?

E

EC

I got some activ8 base mix about 2 years ago, mixed about half threw the baits in the freezer and always take a handful as a change hookbait, still got a few knocking about, I have made my own mix but have had nowhere near the same confidence or success with it!

Am probably going to get some new stuff shortly but am unsure what to go for, the A8 has always got me bites no matter what species I have targetted!

Just wondering why the lads prefer opal? Might take a look at that next!

ian hewett

Reaction score
I bought a 10 kg bucket its been a great bait if you want the details of my mix then just ask. Not sure about its winter potential but I do not target Carp in Winter.

H

hoody

I have used the Grange basemix and two part additive with good results in the past.It is very easy to roll ,but I would reccomend rolling large baits to prebait with as it's a bream magnet!It's my first choice summer or winter if I am planning a baiting campaign.Beware of old basemixes though,buy it from a shop that has a high turnover .

P

paul williams 2

Says who William.......sealed bags, frozen, how long can they really last?

Les Smith

Reaction score
i have had lot's of good fish with Active8.
it's a very good food bait the fish love it i have used it for around 7/8 years and had fish up to 27.4 pound pb it's a great winter bait as well.
if you pe-bait the same lake you will have lot's of fish fingers x.
in the winter i only use hook bait's and a hand full around it,no more.
in the somer i use it as hook bait as well as paste.

E

EC

I had 2 barbel today on home made activ8 (with mould on)!

They'd probably been in and out the freezer 15 times over the last 2 years!

W

William Spencer

paul have a bite out of an apple and leave on the window sill.will it still be crispy in a few weeks time?no because bacteria in the air will attack the molecules of the apple.the same thing happens when you have a large amount of any fish bait,even if kept in an air tight container the opening and closing of the container will allow bacteria to breed.the contents of old mixes can become stale,remember the preservatives in the base mix is to preserve the bait in it's prepared form not in it's raw state.

W

William Spencer

eddie,was it mould or the starches in the base mix forming on the surface?