Advice needed

dicey dave

Reaction score
I have recently started fishing a lake which I had no real idea even had fish in untill recently. The lake has been illegal stocked and holds a head of around 40 - 50 carp ranging from 20 - 40lb. It is council owen and no club has taken it on.

I need advice on what sort of tackle I should be using as I'm not used to fishing venues like this. It is a very quiet venue as not many people are aware of it and for the fact it is quite a challenge to catch from.

Basicly I have 2 Grey's Xflite 2 1/2lb test curve with 8000GTE baitrunners but would like to know what sort of mainline to be using, it is quite a weedy lake with some gravel patches and some silty areas I have on at the moment 12lb Krystonite but was wondering if 15lb would be more suiteable. Also I have never used lead core before (preffering tubing) as I have heard bad things about it but I'm loosing confidence in the tubing as i have noticed that it doesn't sit completley flat on the bottom and would be good to hear your thoughts on this. If any one has any suggestions for rigs and also strength of braid for the hair rig I would be much obliged.

Richard Poole

Reaction score
if you dont need to cast great distances it would be a good idea to switch to 15lb mainline.
as for your tubing try putting a bit of putty on it to sink it down.
rigwise i would go with around 10 inches of mantis or snakebite in 15lb breaking strain tied knotless knot style with a shrink tube line aligner.
hope this helps

Blunderer

Reaction score
Dave
My advice is to email me and tell me where this lake is! You have found every carp angler's dream!
Everyone has different opinions on rigs - don't get too hung up on them. If the lake is not heavily fished then it won't matter greatly as long as your presentation is good.
In your situation I would go for simple flourocarbon in 12-15lb - nearly invisible and easy to tie with a a knotless knot. Don't get too hung up on tubing/leadcore either. I rarely use either, just a slack line, flying backlead and normal backlead.

Badly presented tubing and leadcore can ruin your chances.

If you can buy or borrow the Korda Underwater DVDs it should help you, too.

dicey dave

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice I will get those dvd's (have been meaning to for a while) and take note. If you do want to know where it is send me an email and I will give you the details. It is in S Wales by the way. Be warned though I have heard rumors that it will be taken over from next year although I'm not to sure how much this is true.

Benny The Bream

Reaction score
I use Gardner 22lb Subterfuge as a leader with Korda 15lb IQ as hooklink nice low visability, remember to steam all knots and the subterfuge straight.