The Upper Tamar - any feedback appreciated

Medders

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm getting married this year and as my stag do, I'm having a weeks carping with the boys...........perfect!!! My best man is sorting this and is thinking about a week at The Upper Tamar. There are some threads (all be it not ideal reading!!) on here but they are quite old now! Has anyone fished it lately, how was it etc etc?? I'm going in July.

Many Thanks

Reaction score
Hi Medders,

Congratulations on your forthcoming marriage! I got hitched in 2009 (best thing I've ever done!) and had a fishing stag-do too on the Wye at Ross.

Can't help personally with the Tamar but it might be worth contacting my good mate Steve Lockett through his WEBSITE

Steve's a top bloke and has his ear to the ground in that area and I'm sure he'd be glad to offer advice.

Hope that helps...

****y

Medders

Reaction score
Really appreciate that ****y, thanks a lot mate! How was your stag-do, did you catch much? I will contact Steve, hopefully he'll be able to fill me in.

Last edited:

mcdejer16

Reaction score
I used to fish Upper Tamar in the Devon Winter League. I have only fished it under match conditions and I haven't been there for about 6/7 years.

It was full of bream to about 9lb, which were caught on the feeder using a fishmeal groundbait with a lot of micro pellet and chopped worm. The best swims are over the far side of the Ressie, which you can get to by walking over the dam wall. I would walk up to the point of the arm and fish there or walk past the arm and fish in the deeper water. Most of the matches were won from there with weights upto 60lbs. It is a very very long walk, in the matches the tackle was shipped across in a boat.

There was always a few carpers on there normally fishing in the arm, I think there were a few 30s but I'm not sure.

I hope this helps a bit.

Cheers
Mark

Btw ****ie are you planning another trip on Linhay this year?

Medders

Reaction score
Thanks Baggy!! It does help mate, can you imagine how big those 9lb bream will be now, 6/7 years on!! It sounds like we're going to need a way of getting to where we want to fish!!! If you know of anyone who still fishes it, please hook me up. Thanks again mate!

dadondo

Reaction score
upper tamar

hi medders if you fish it in july the water level drops about ten to fifteen feet , i would either fish moblie and chase the fish or bivvy up and then go mobile from there spend a couple of hours in a swim if no fish then move pva bags or scattered boilies work word of warning if you use particles you will be inundated with bream some do go to double figures but its still a dustbin lid to bring in good luck and let me know how you get on if you need any more info send me a private message ok cheers.

Reaction score
Btw ****ie are you planning another trip on Linhay this year?

Hi Mark,

Not sure I'll manage a Linhay trip this year (lack of funds and time) but I am going off on one of Steve's wild hunches after a double figure Cornwall bream in May :)

---------- Post added at 20:10 ---------- Previous post was at 20:04 ----------

Really appreciate that ****y, thanks a lot mate! How was your stag-do, did you catch much? I will contact Steve, hopefully he'll be able to fill me in.

We didn't catch a massive bag but there were plenty of dace and chub to the float fishers, no barbel, I lost the same pike twice, but then the boat club upstream started cutting weed and that finished the fishing off...

Lots of fun and banter tho and after all that's what a stag is all about (see below) :w:)

http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/members/****y-angling-trust-pac--albums-fishing-friends-picture2466-fm-stag-do.jpg

Last edited:

Medders

Reaction score

Thanks mate, very handy to know that! It sounds like such a large water that bivvying up and then going mobile could be a good option, hunting the buggers down!! Noted about a bed of particles!!

Excellent, it's all about the banter!!! Steve got back to me, thanks!

dadondo

Reaction score
medders the lake is 84 acres, the bradworthy arm can be good if its very hot try floaters etc on the top good luck .