which carp reels?

carp_mad_man

Reaction score
To whom it may interest,
i am 'DUE' a new retackle up on my harware gear (not the brand 'Hardware')
and i am strugling for a reel that would be suitable for 5 to 20 acre lakes with many mid-lake fetures. i wouldnt mind either a small big pit or a baitrunner which would suit two fox warrior S euro's. not much line needs to be held but the reel to have a maxinum price tag of £70 each. thanks for any replys.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Take a look at the Diawa Procaster 4000 reels, not bait runners,, but do you realy need bait runners ???

I have a couple and must say they are one of the best reels i have bought for some time, great clutch, line lay, very smooth around £60 to £65 each.

They do a smaller version, and i will be getting one for my roaming work on the rivers.

carp_mad_man

Reaction score
hey mate, thanks for you suggestion, could you please tell me if its an actual carp reel with quick drag and would it be a problem if you could give me the actual dimensions of the reel like; length, hight and thickness. you know, just so i can relate it it, possibly to a carp reel i already own, just so i can imagine a feel for the reel without holding it! many thanks for the post.

nicky

Reaction score
hey ray how do you go about fishing without the bait runners do you just leave the anti reverse off to stop your rod getting pulled in?

sagalout

Reaction score
Shimano 4000 baitrunners, I have the 2500, superb bit of kit. Look at the shimano website for all the detail.

Morespiders

Reaction score
Get yourself a pair of Mitchel 300s, as much as you need and fun to waiting for the churners

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Carp mad man,

I can get you all that info tomorrow, but for now look at the Diawa website. These are not carp reels, but is there such a thing ???.

The reels are not big at all, and should be ideal for the water you are fishing, as it sounds like you wont be casting very far at all. I used to have shimano 5000 baitrunners but the spools are very small and you get line curl with them, you dont get that with the Procaster.

Nicky,

I just turn the clutch on the front, much like you do with the shimano's, striking is just the same, and a quick turn and the clutch is set back again.

I also found that with the Diawa spool convertions do the same thing, you dont have to pull the pin open, just turn the clutch and the spool becomes free, quick twist and the spool is back on again. I dont know if this works on all Diawa's, but it does on my 4500 AB's.

I havent had bait runner reels for a good few years now, and I dont see the need for them anymore, but thats just a personal thing.

---------- Post added at 20:52 ---------- Previous post was at 20:49 ----------

Get yourself a pair of Mitchel 300s, as much as you need and fun to waiting for the churners

Yep great reels, as is the Mitchell Match.

ben cook

Reaction score
Reels

I've just running in a pair of Korum KXi 50 reels matched with 2lb Korum Precision rods. I'm fishing a small syndicate water with them and so far have had a 17.5lb carp. This did pull a bit but the front drag on the reels was extremely smooth. The line lay is great and it has the baitrunner facility if this floats your boat. They were £50 each. I've had similar sized Shimano baitrunners and the Korum knocks spots off them. The front drag is far more superior than Shimano snatchy rear drag reels.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
No you dont need baitrunners at any time, I dont use them anymore and haven't for some time, and remember we never had them years ago.

I just turn the front drag enough so line pulls off the reels, it is only a turn to tighten them up again when a fish is on.

Shimano now make reels that have a front baitrunner system on some reels, I had a pair, but found you can do the same with most reels, and without paying the price for a baitrunner. IMO Shimano are not that great a reel, when you get to the top end £400 to £600 then yes, but who needs to pay that money for a reel ??

barbelboi

Reaction score
My point exactly - the only problem is for the wander 50m from the swim brigade when they get **ed off when not catching.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I think any company that makes alarms and has a reciever that works more than 20 yards away, is giving out the wrong message , and IMO shouldn't be allowed to make them.

There is NO need to leave rods, and NO need to have a reciever that works 100 or 200 yards away the rods.

little oik

Reaction score
I havnt been carping for a long time but don't rubber bands and bail arm open work these days or have the fish wised up to this method :wh

barbelboi

Reaction score
As we seem to have crossed the topic of bite alarms, and I have already expressed my preferances, I have a question for the wiser ones than me out there.

As we all know water transmits sound quite effectively. Those of us who pursue wild fish i.e. river fish will know exactly what I mean. With electronic bite alarms, I used to fish the Yately complex from time to time and other water whilst with RMC/Cmex, I noticed that most anglers used bite alarms and during to many periods of inactivity would (for want of a better word) play with their alarms for whatever reason. This used to p**s us quiter folk off but surely this was to their disadvantage by sending a signal (at the speed of sound) charging down their mono directly to their rig and scaring the sh one t out of every carp in the proximity.

dezza

Reaction score
I would like someone to conduct an experiment to see if scientifically this could happen.

Personally I don't think it can, but I don't want to be dogmatic about it.

If it did happen, it would cause one hell of a panic amongst alarm manufacturers.

Although water being non compressable is a hell of a good conductor of sound, it is also a good sound insulator when the sound is conducted by another material. Well this is how I am thinking and I would welcome comments from people more qualified in this field than myself.

klik2change

Reaction score
A tight line might convey a sound/signal of some kind, just like a nylon guitar string... not that I have any knowledge as such. I would have thought it would be deadened after a few feet by the water and the lack of energy - unless the alarm shorts out in which case there might be a bit of voltage to push the sound/signal [electric guitar string] , but this couldn't be transmitted very far by nylon or water even if it were possible - inches or even less... Monk will know I am sure, if he still posts.

little oik

Reaction score
Sound waves if in the air cannot pass through into the water as they will bounce off the surface even at a perfect right angle surely as it is a different medium .If you can remember when back when you were in a swimming pool and which had a noisy atmosphere as soon as you duck under water it went quiet.
However something passing through the surface like a line or an implement will transmit vibrations and sound to some degree or another

Last edited: