Shocker rig set up....?

Carpfish_2004

Reaction score
I'm looking to use the shocker style bolt rig when fishing in france this year. I'm going to use it inline (like on the Korda dvds) with a bead at the swiveal and the backstop bead up about 4 inches from the inline lead with its inside tube removed. Could anyone tell me the bead size which will push tightly over korda rig tubing 0.75 in size?

cheers

danco

big Stu

Reaction score
:0) hehehhehhe, well done jonny.

the small korda ones are fine mate, they fit nice and snug on the tungsten sections (which is pergectly safe when wet).

its the same size bead you get with the flying backleads (don't forget to also thread one on the line before tying the leader)

F

Frothey

the small korda ones are fine mate, they fit nice and snug on the tungsten sections (which is pergectly safe when wet).

drop a rig in the edge and try and pull it apart purely by pulling on the hooklink. if you cant do it (and that includes getting it over the loop on the end with regards to "chod" leaders) then its not "perfectly safe"

big Stu

Reaction score
if we are talking carp of 10lb plus (which i am) then you know how hard a hooked beastie shakes its head about when trying to get rid of a rig - i just cant see a lead not coming free

personally, i have total confidence that it would not tether a carp

F

Frothey

try it yourself.....if you cant, can a fish? for a fish to exert any force on it, the lead would already have to be snagged.

big Stu

Reaction score
but if its snagged, and its an inline lead, the leader will just pull through the centre of the lead.

to be honest it's probably safer than lead clips (considering the force most anglers bosh them together in order they dont lose a lead)

F

Frothey

using back stops with inlines?

dont use lead clips so wouldnt know ;)

like i say, try it in the edge.....

(ps....the pectoral on the fish on the mat is at a funny angle)

big Stu

Reaction score
...they call it the shocker

http://www.course-fishing.freeuk.com/shocknight.html

(sorry about the URL - how do you put quick links in anyone)

the fish is slightly sloping back so its belly is up in the air - its making the fin look funny, but have no fear, no fish were harmed in the filming of this motion picture.......it was the poor bugger i caught on the back stopped leader afterwards that suffered :)

B

Budgie Burgess

You da man Frothey!

To be honest all this PC "safe rig" crap makes me laugh (er or should that be cry?)Ive been lectured by carp "experts" loads of times re this subject (quite often in regards to other species at that,you knowv the ones most of these "experts" throw back in distain if they catch whilst carping)I then have to sit there and watch them spit on,pull with their teeth etc etc the "safe" rig they reccomend to get it to actually do what they want it to ie fall apart!! Er still leaving the hook and hook length and swivel in the fish that is!

Why oh why dont people try their end tackle out in the margins/bath tub any more (they obviously dont otherwise they wouldnt all be trembling in amazement at the "revelations" in the Korda DVD's.

"Lip service" to fish safety at best.Double standard elitism at worst!

Sorry but its a personal gripe of mine with the modern angling scene! Honest I once had a retard from the SAA take me to task because a Sunken Float Paternoster rig for pike wasnt PC because it was fixed and couldnt "fall apart"! Thank God it couldnt fall apart I thought and I should imagine to do most of the pike who have been caught on it!

B

Budgie Burgess

Danny dont get to tied up with all this rig stuff mate! (er no pun intended) Here is the only rig I know that will 100% allow the hook/hook length/swivel to detach in the case of a broken main line,even with a casting shock or snag leader-
http://www.anglers-net.co.uk/rigs/carprigs.htm#cvsafety

But real carp "saftey" is down to you not the rig.Its all about fishing responsibly ie where you put your rig,how carefull you are with your tackle selection,its correct use and above all how atentive to both detail and the fishing its self you are.Its the conclussion I came to after all the hundreds of hours designing,experimenting with "safe" rigs!No bit of plastic will ever replace that.

As for the bottom being clay I wouldnt worry too much about the lead digging in unless its really shallow.

Any way I thought a lot of the Korda boys now reccomend cliped rigs rather than inlines so the lead doesnt damage the hook link...all a bit fancy full to me!

Good luck with the fishing in France but remember above all its a holiday so enjoy it regardless of what you catch!

F

Frothey

the cv isnt a 100%'er either budgie, all it takes is a lump of weed on the leader knot.....but you can only do so much cant you.

still got some in my tackle box!

got away from the origional shocker thing though....i personally dont think that unless you drill the hole bigger in the lead, theres a fair amont of resistance even before you hit the backstop - and thats assuming the fish moves directly in line with the rod tip and lead the lead. the arguement that inlines give better hooking doesnt apply either.

if you want a low resistance then "bang" type thing, you've got to use a run ring and no tubling......look at the eel anglers that are far more paranoid about resistance than us.

big Stu

Reaction score
if you remove the plastic insert from a 3 oz lead (the bigger the better as it doesnt move, the line runs thruogh it and it stays put) the lead the hole is plenty large enough. I also push a stop bead on to the ring swivel, so the lead doesnt fall on to the rig. fished with ultra slack line and bobbin on the floor.

although i havent sen it, i think this method was used on the latest korda dvd. i took it from one of the mags. this method, as well as little stu's spaghetti trick, has seen top results including a new pb of 32.2.

i like it more than the normal free running set up as it is less prone to tangles.

B

Budgie Burgess

Not 100%.Yes I suppose your right mate I dont suppose any rig ever will be.Certainly made correctly with the right components its as close as Ive been able to come

Like you say just got to do your best.Either that or if you hold the carps well fair in that high esteem not fish for them full stop!

Carpfish_2004

Reaction score
Cheers Budgie, the lake is around4-5 feet deep so the clay bottom hopefully wont be a problem. Ive got both inline and sliped rigs at the ready just in case. Cheers, i'll try to enjoy myself but i always feel much better after catching one of the larger carp. I remember last year as the days drew on and the big one still hadnnt showed up i began to get a bit restless. I'm going to try to actually enjoy the carp fishing no matter what this year.

B

Bill Cox

Great bit of debate lads, much to little debate on here these days.18 posts, differing view, well put and no insults. great to read, keep it up.Good luck in France Danny, i,ve just got back a couple of weeks ago and as budgie said its a holiday as well as a big fish quest. I find if your laid back and relaxed you fish better anyway.