Baitrunner reel advice please!

hitcher8

Reaction score
I know the shimano reels are known as the best but they are a little out of my price range. I have been looking at these reels and hoped someone might tell me which they think would be my best bet:

Shakespeare Omni X Freespool

Okuma Interceptor Pro 50

Pure Fishing ABU CARDINAL 103 FR

Okuma Proforce Baitfeeder Reel PRFB155

Okuma Longbow Bait Feeder Reel LB-50

Any other ideas would be very much appreciated.

Thanks all!

---------- Post added at 06:02 ---------- Previous post was at 05:52 ----------

just seen this reel as well:

Mitchell Premium 50 fr Baitrunner

Thanks for any help or advice!

sam vimes

Reaction score

mol

Reaction score
I'm a massive shimmy fan for fixed spool reels, IMO they make excellent reels. Having said that I hear nothing but praise for Okuma reels and the prices are good. The Okuma's might not look as tarty as some but they seem to perform superbly. I'm after a new reel at the moment and I'm going to buy an Okuma to see what they're like.

quickcedo

Reaction score
I have an Okuma with the free spool facillity. I've had it for maybe 4 years now. Not a fault to be found. I think I paid about £30 for it at a show. Perhaps not as much "street cred" as a Shimano but who cares as long as it works.

hitcher8

Reaction score
Cheers guys sounds like its between the Shimo and the Okuma!

No word on the other reels mentioned? Im looking to spend no more the £30-£40 max as im only just getting into carping seriously.

Cheers again

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
I do like Shimano reels, have 2 baitrunners 5000 size. Despite this, I also have a couple of Okuma Interceptors 4000 size and no problem whatsoever apart from some silver paint coming off the front drag adjust/spool fixing nut which is plastic. To me, less bling to reflect sunshine and spook the fish.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
We're not that rude:)

I am. :w

Okuma or Shimano are the only contenders on that list IMO...and I wouldn't ignore a good second hand example off t'Bay. I got 2 minty Okuma Epix Pro 40's for less than £60 the pair in Jan. Super reels.

I dont know the particular models you mention but I have a few Okumas in various sizes/configurations and they are all first class reels.

Reaction score
I Have Shimano bait-runners and exages but also have a few Okuma Epix...the original design. Whilst the Okumas are not bait-runners if the quality of their bait-runners is same as epix then go for those without question.

Pete Shears

Reaction score
I have 3 Okuma Powerliners which I use for piking - come with spare spools,sort of a small big pit reel if that makes sense - try Climax Tackle or JK Angling,can't remember which one I bought them from - a friend of mine who used to work in a tackle shop in Leicstershire recommended them,they never had any in stock-straight out of the door,he auggested the Internet for an even better deal

hitcher8

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys! Just found a Shimano Baitrunner at Go Outdoors for £42 figured that would be a good start!

Cheers again for all the advice! :)