I'm really getting tired..................

sam vimes

Reaction score
I get quite confused to be honest. I enjoy so many different types and styles of fishing it's hard to keep pace with who I'm annoying.;):D This weekend I've been carping, bivvy bite alarms, 3lb TC rods, the lot. Early last week I was barbelling, but most definitely not "carbelling", as I often do. In the previous weeks I've fished for tench on an old farm brick pit, chub on a deserted stretch of river and horror of horrors, I've even fished an out and out commercial. Sometimes I've used one rod, sometimes two. On the odd occasion I've even used three. I've even used a centrepin. However, I've not knowingly left a speck of litter and I've not partaken of anything more intoxicating that a can of coke.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I get quite confused to be honest. I enjoy so many different types and styles of fishing it's hard to keep pace with who I'm annoying.;):D This weekend I've been carping, bivvy bite alarms, 3lb TC rods, the lot. Early last week I was barbelling, but most definitely not "carbelling", as I often do. In the previous weeks I've fished for tench on an old farm brick pit, chub on a deserted stretch of river and horror of horrors, I've even fished an out and out commercial. Sometimes I've used one rod, sometimes two. On the odd occasion I've even used three. I've even used a centrepin. However, I've not knowingly left a speck of litter and I've not partaken of anything more intoxicating that a can of coke.

try harder man to drink at lea tone can of shandy bass :eek:mg:

gonebreaming

Reaction score
Being a bream angler I will not be drawn into any ' arguement ' about carp anglers .For I fish in a very simalar way ,bivvies alarms etc . I'm extremely grateful to the pioneers of carp fishing and indeed the modern carp anglers who give us new products and ideas .
Unfortunately carp fishing has attracted a minority of people ,( not neccessarily anglers) into our wonderful pastime . We have all come across the type so I dont think there is anything to gain by me making any comments . The one comment I would like to make is that I have some good friends who are carp anglers and do thank them for their valued freindship .
Breamer

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Carp Anglers in the main were and are the forerunners of most of the Care type codes that were given out in this country.

Pleasure anglers still don't show a lot of care to Fish Welfare ?

Matchmen, well just go to the Weigh-ins and you will see some dreadful fish care.

It was Carp Anglers who first used purpose made Unhooking Mats, yes of course other Specimen Anglers followed.

Most of the innovations in modern Fishing have come about through Carp Fishing and Carp Anglers.

It's easy to knock a form of angling you don't like or you think you don't like because someone has said so and there are plenty of knockers on this site.

Often these people are easily influenced by the Loudest Voice and often with little or know experience of Carp angling or for that matter any other form of Big Fish Angling.

Empty Vessels, so the old saying goes !!!

Bob

mark barrett 2

Reaction score
Sorry Bob, but the first commercially available unhooking mat was made by ET to protect pike originally at Abberton reservoir. Carpers caught on quick but it didnt originate from carping.

flightliner

Reaction score
And one of the first weigh slings I ever saw was in a pub match on the middle level drain in the late sixties.

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
Unhooking Mats, Brilliant idea and wildly abused but some, more of an excuse to keep a fish out of water for what can seem like an eternity while they get their Trophy photo took with it.

Still a great idea though, i even have one myself.

mark barrett 2

Reaction score
yes Bob ET was definitely first. Gardener produced the first commercially availa\ble pod though!

dezza

Reaction score
I remember Barrie Rickards telling me that it was pike anglers that were the first at bringing in a variety of innovations for the care of fish, mainly because pike are among the most sensitive to handling.

But don't forget it was **** Walker who concieved the first rod pod.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Ron,
you are a total wind up merchant:D. One minute decrying some modern practices, the next, name dropping mates that either started such things (Barrie Rickards/**** Walker in this thread) or embrace the modern variations themselves (Lee Swords, who, and I concede that I may have the wrong idea here, is exactly who comes to mind when I hear the term "carbelling"). How do you manage it without trying yourself in knots?:D A lot of the time you come over as a bit of a traditionalist (I believe that someone accused you of this recently). Further reading shows that it isn't the case and you've said as much yourself

Strikes me that you are quite happy with modern innovation, especially if one of your many friends was even vaguely involved. As soon as it becomes mainstream you seem to rail against it. Because of this I simply don't see you as having a consistent view point. It seems to shift depending on who you'd like to wind up at any given time.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Ron,
you are a total wind up merchant:D. One minute decrying some modern practices, the next, name dropping mates that either started such things (Barrie Rickards/**** Walker in this thread) or embrace the modern variations themselves (Lee Swords, who, and I concede that I may have the wrong idea here, is exactly who comes to mind when I hear the term "carbelling"). How do you manage it without trying yourself in knots?:D A lot of the time you come over as a bit of a traditionalist (I believe that someone accused you of this recently). Further reading shows that it isn't the case and you've said as much yourself

Strikes me that you are quite happy with modern innovation, especially if one of your many friends was even vaguely involved. As soon as it becomes mainstream you seem to rail against it. Because of this I simply don't see you as having a consistent view point. It seems to shift depending on who you'd like to wind up at any given time.

Ron's just bored and on a wind up - the relief truck is not due in Rotherham for another week - Ron's also got a baot boat - don't believe him if he says he hasn't

quickcedo

Reaction score
I've seen him using the bait boat on the canal. He uses it to move the ducks into position so he can paint them easier.

flightliner

Reaction score
Hessian sacks-- Bennetts of sheffield used to store all their post office mail sacks in their upstairs car park that customers were allowed to use. After a period of time (in the eighties) they stored them somewhere else as they realised that the ever increasing number of carp anglers were nicking them.
ps-- can we have a Walker/stone thread then anybody who wants to discuss them all day can retire to it-- move on - catch up!

Last edited: