"parrot nosed"???

McPlop

Reaction score
I caught a "parrot nosed" carp yesterday, at least i think thats what they are called. Please excuse my ignorance but what are they all about? some sort of hybred? sub species? or just born ugly?

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
Never heard of one of them MP...sounds like a simple 'just born ugly' to me....you sure it was a carp and where did you catch it, maybe just a genectic fault...who knows

R

Rodney Wrestt

AS far as I'm aware the parrot nose came about through bad angling practice years ago, I could be wrong but I don't think they are an actual species.

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
So you saying it's a normal carp who fell for bad angling practice or did this kind of look carry on developing

R

Rodney Wrestt

No, Claudia, I mean.... errr well it was quite a few years ago now, can't remember exactly when though, but carp and tench both suffered this type of injury from being dragged through heavy weed at places like Sywell Reservoir (until restrictions were put in place), but these fish will still be around today, and the damage will have healed but sadly they will de disfigured for the rest of their days.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
"Parrot Nose" sometimes refers to fish that have had their mouths ripped apart by ignorant idiots mascarading as anglers on some poorly managed fisheries (I wont call them "commercials").

Ripped apart by braid or 20lb+ nylon &/or having hooks repeatedly ripped from their mouths (stock too dense, always feeding, always being caught).

I am a regular commercial angler and absolutely hate seeing fish treated in this way. I've had a few confrontations with such idiots and will probably continue to have more.

B

Bill Cox

In my earlier carping i fished some commercial waters and also a southwest trust water where some of the carp never had any lips at all. All the result of bad angling practice i'm afraid.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

I have baught very small Koi Carp in the past which looked perfect.
six months later they have turned into what is known as a Parrot fish. So I think it is also a genetic thing.

McPlop

Reaction score
Said fish was 7 1/2 lb other than its ugly mug it looked in good shape. It had the body of a common with a hugely bulbose nose/forehead almost john merrick style. The over developed head seemed to me more genetic than earlier damage to the fish with the mouth in a slightly more rearward position than i would expect from carp (although this could have been due to the strange shaped head).The mouth seemed in good order though small for the fish. Caught him on lake christine at cottington lakes near deal in kent. It did not seem a particularly weedy lake. Apart from him being an ugly sod (i'm sure his mum loves him) he put up a good scrap and was a welcome relief after one roach and a duck.

L

Les Clark

Mcplop ,Ive only seen lake christine once but i would cross out "lake" and call it a duck pond with a big island in the middle ,but to be fair it has some good carp in it .

Joskin

Reaction score
Its not always down to anglers.

We rear carp on in indoor tanks and every now and again we find one or two that have the classic "parrot mouth". They never looked that way before they went into the rearing tanks at a couple of ounces but 8 months later when we take them out at 2lb+ they seem to have developed this deformity.

F

Frothey

its a peculiar thing to fish tanks and small lakes, it normally happens when they hit the far bank on the take!

Joskin

Reaction score
With our particular fish we have assumed that it is something to do with the rate that we grow them on at.