Carp Rod & Reel - Surface fishing

caveman38

Reaction score
Although I only float or feeder fish generally. I fancy having a set up for a bit of fun when the carp are on the surface.
Say I didn't want to spend more that £150 for rod and reel. Can someone recommend a set up and include what BS line and TC rod would you use when targeting carp to 20lb.
I have had a few bonus carp this season and on my local pit at the moment it appears that the carp are being caught (the vast majority)on the top with dog biscuiit (Chum mixer). and I may as well have a try myself.
If the season is getting late for this style of fishing can someone advise as to when it is bottom only for the carp.
Thanks in advance for recommendations and advice.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
For that size carp try a 1.5 or 1.75 tc rod - 8lb breaking strain line size 10 hook

From my own experience I'd say by now the carp will have sussed that the floating dog biscuit or bread might have a hook in it if they've been fish for a lot on surface baits - early in April if the weather is warm and sunny are good times when the carp haven't see a surface bait for months.

At this time of year last hour before dark might get you a fish or two
But this is from my experience at the lakes I fish, if carp are still taking surface baits readily where you are fishing then go for it.

mol

Reaction score
Add a starlight to the controller float and you can floater fish at night

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Ditto to Paul... a "barbel" (as far as I know the fish can't read labels so just remember that's there for our benefit only) rod of 1.5, 1.75 or even 1.25 test curve will do the job just fine. There's loads out there and I expect you'd be able to get a perfectly good rod and reel for £100, let alone £150

If you did get a 1.5 or 1.75 tc rod, this would also serve perfectly well as a carp rod for fishing on the bottom at close to medium range. I actually use 1.25 avon rods for this kind of fishing and have never had a problem.

I agree with the breaking strain too, 8lb is about right. I've been using Drennan Double strength as hook length for surface fishing and it's served me very well. It floats and it's a low diameter.

Good luck, it's one of the most exciting ways of catching carp going!

quickcedo

Reaction score
I have in the past caught Carp off the top in every month of the year. So always have the gear with you. During the colder months the opportunities are few and far between but if you have the gear there..........

noknot

Reaction score
Very true Mark, but as far as the tackle goes, I would say it depends on the water being fished? Is your water weedy or clear? Are there many snags, Pads ect, and also the range you may need to fish, all of these come into play!.............

caveman38

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. The water that I currently fish and would like to try for the surface feeders is a large 40's gravel pit. There are a couple of small pools where the fish could bolt into lily pads but 95% is open water and although visible on the top in the margis during spring they are now to be caught 80ft. away. That is not to say I don't pick up the odd bonus carp when method or float fishing the margins.
So in answer to your questions I need a rod that will cast a rig say 100ft, handle the possible 20 pounder but essentialy pick up and mend the line at that distance. A lightish rod would also be a plus and as I have never fished for barbel would not be able to comment as to whether a rod dedicated to barbel fishingwould fit the bill. I did see a Wychwood Signature 1.5 TC 12ft. rod today for £50 but did not know if that would be OK or should I go for the dedicated ESP floater rod which would cost £30 more. Or any others that I should consider. Cheers guys.