Mill Lane on the Farnham ticket

catman

Reaction score
Just wonderinhg if anyone had fished it and maybe caught there. I ahve heard it is hard but contains some massive fish. Was thinking of joining to go to Mill Lane. Do you think its a good idea?

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
You will love mill lane if you like a challange.
The stock of fish is very good and the carp are very big, as are the tench, bream and eels. The lake get very very weedy and is full of naturals which obviously make th fish so large. The duck are a real pain as they will not leave a bed of bait alone.
Top tips are find a spot and feed it for a long time then fish over the top. Most people use bait boats to get there rigs to the island where there is some clear swims.
I went for the first time this summer and pulled out a mountain of weed 4' high in just 20Mins and still the swim was chucker with weed. Oh ans yes I blanked I got done by something dont know if it was a fish or not. Good luck

catman

Reaction score
What's the average size in Mill Lane and is there a really decent head of 30's?

Rob Hale

Reaction score
Hiya,

The stock of carp go to the low 40's, most fish are probably in the high-twenties & 30's depending on the time of year. You're looking at 36 carp in there and the water is hard, although the old adage of "spend enough time there and you'll catch" is true, as is "if you're in the right place at the right time, you stand a chance".

Tench go into double figures, with 12lb being the unofficial record. Bream hit the 18lb mark. There's a couple of Eels in there - into big specimen figures along with several 20lb Pike.

Pressure kills it, so my best advice is get confident on your rigs and bait on other waters, find the fish and avoid the rush (mid-week is best in the peak spring and autumn periods).

Don't ignore the margins, fish come out from under trees as well as open water - The weed can really put people off, but there are holes and where is is floating, the bottom is normally clear.

A Mill Lane fish fights like hell and they're all gorgeous looking - if you're lucky enough to land one take care of it.

Tight Lines & Good luck!

Rob

Fred Blake

Reaction score
Funnily enough, Mill Lane is on my 'to do' list for this season. Having been a Farnham member for several seasons I have yet to fish it, though I've had a walk around. I imagine it's a question of confidence, location and don't disturb 'em.

I propose to fish in a way that will allow anything - tench, bream, carp or eels - to show interest, and ring the changes from there. Unlike some people I won't be at all upset to catch a ten-pound bream instead of a big carp.

Tinca Tinca

Reaction score
I would say its a great venue but just too many swims on a small venue although FDAS have closed some. Can be mega busy which is totally counterproductive. Quieter from June onward. Had a reputation as a party venue that led to alcohol and drugs being banned. We would arrive to see 24 packs of lager being lifted out of the back of vans.........witnessed bait boat racing at 2am and language that would make any carper blush when it came to territorial disputes.
Early weekdays best get out by Friday 12.00

The various "pins" are always full, so best bet is to get on the far bank as most carpers congregate around the swims on the bank adjacent to entry gate and dont like to/cant transport all their kit to the back bank.

Rob Hale

Reaction score
Quoted from Tinca Tinca:

>I would say its a great venue but just too >many swims on a small venue although FDAS >have closed some.

Errm... You might want to check that, It's a Farnham Angling Society (FAS) venue, and has been owned by them for over 20 years!

>Can be mega busy which is totally >counterproductive. Quieter from June >onward.

It can be busy at weekends in the close season as many other waters are closed - quietens down in june though as you say. Mid-weeks are no problem.

>Had a reputation as a party venue that led >to alcohol and drugs being banned. We would >arrive to see 24 packs of lager being >lifted out of the back of >vans.........witnessed bait boat racing at >2am and language that would make any carper >blush when it came to territorial disputes.
>Early weekdays best get out by Friday 12.00

Now this is puzzling - especially as I've fished the venue for near on 12+ years and have been a bailiff for 4 years, Dep head for past 2 years and not seen even half of this going on.

>The various "pins" are always full, so best >bet is to get on the far bank as most >carpers congregate around the swims on the >bank adjacent to entry gate...

There's two pins. And as normal, most anglers fish the swims closest to the car parks.

I hope this helps - more than happy to supply correct information if asked.

Tight lines

Rob

Rob Hale

Reaction score
Ian: Bream go to 18lbs now mate. <Blink!> The hand-book info's not accurate on that one - check the website. The club grassie record is also held there - 35lbs.

Tench go to double figures (12lb's the record)

I certainly wouldn't scoff at one - my PB Bream is 12lbs from Mill Lane.

Fred: I'd probably be tempted to do mid-weeks or some stalking later in the summer. Finding the fish is key. Certainly not an easy water.

Fred Blake

Reaction score
Thanks Rob - if I get a midweek opportunity I may try as you suggest. Most of my fishing is stalking anyway; I haven't the time to spend two days on a water!

Rob Hale

Reaction score
Hi Fred,

Find the fish in the margins and do some stalking - the fish spend an awfully long time in the margins on regular patrols so it's idea.

Good luck, hope to see you on the bank sometime.

Tight lines

Rob