Leadcore

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Evening all,
Can leadcore be knotted or do you have to splice it?
I just brought some fox heli rigs, one the splices (the bit with lead attached) has just, well sort of displaced if this makes any sense?
Is it possible to use a knot to create another loop?
Thanks,
Christian

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Christian, it's worth learning to spice leadcore. It's easy when you know how and is much neater.

Most rigs wouldn't be safe with knotted leadcore, but that would depend on the rig and where the know was.

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Cheers guys, will learn to splice.
Nice one Frothey theres everything on this site!

L

little Stu!

Splicing is definitely the way forward, however most leacore is soft fabric with the core running through the middle. As long as the lead piece is removed, then tying knots will be fine.

Keith Moors

Reaction score
Sorry Stu but I can't agree. With even the correct lead clip and tail rubber, if the clip comes free from the hook link swivel and slides to the top of the length of leadcore it will be difficult to pull over the thickness of a splice never mind a knot. I see around two hundred anglers each year and the vast majority are under the impression that the way to make a lead clip "safer" is to use a small swivel so that the clip can slide easily. IT IS NOT !
It is actually safer if the clip is tied or fixed to the swivel so that the tail rubber is the only moveable part, thus the lead can be ejected in the designed manner. I spent days designing my knot just so that anglers wouldn't have to use what you are suggesting will be fine.
Sorry for the rant but I love carp as much as I love carp-angling.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Does for me, blokes caught some cracking fish!

L

little Stu!

Keith, the question was can it be tied, not is it safe!

yes, it can be tied

Keith Moors

Reaction score
Stu. There is absolutely no point in telling someone that they can knot leadcore without clarifying the potential dangers. I have seen "experienced anglers" with swivels fitted at both ends of their leadcore, simply because nobody had explained the dangers. I wasn't having a go at you I was explain why, to my mind, it is dangerous to knot it.

L

little Stu!

Keith, im sorry, but I diasgree, well actually I do agree in that it is dangerous to KNOT anything.

I for one splice my leadcore and 'have' looped back over a swivel at one end, I then construct 'safe-ish' rigs, so whats the difference in splicing onto a swivel than knotting?

(I say safe-ish cos NO rig is safe, none at all, nada, never will be)

The question is can you knot leadcore, the answer is yes you can.

I would however be delighted to open debate on what is deemed safe and what is not?

I mean no disrespect, just making the point!

F

Frothey

link works for me, scroll to the bottom of the page.

arent we on about how you join it to the mainline than the hooklength....

L

little Stu!

up til it says 'the bit with lead attached' I'm assuming he means the business end, not the mainline end?

Keith Moors

Reaction score
Even knotting the lead end can be dangerous because the knot can be of a size which stops the tail rubber from sliding.

B

Bully

Keith, as much as I think Stu is a fat arse twat, I think you are missing the point, albeit with best intentions.

Keith Moors

Reaction score
Hi Bully. I know what you're saying but I do realise that the simple answer would be to say "yes it is physically possible to tie a knot in lead core." The problem with leaving it at that is that a large number of anglers will go for the easy option, on the bank, and end up bastardizing a rig which can be dangerous to the carp. let me try and explain my reasons for my previous posts. I have now had to remove a "chod" rig from a thirty five pound common on our lake despite lead core being banned. The rig had obviously been made up from in nhaste and the angler must have discovered that he didn't have any beads. Simple solution tie a knot in the leadcore below the hook link swivel, slide on the swivel and then tie a knot above it. The hook link was about 2ft from the lead and the fish has now got a lop-sided mouth. The other occasion was while bailiffing Linear manor. I was told that there was a fish towing a ball of weed. I wound in my rods and luckily cast one of them over the slowly moving ball of weed. I gently wound in the weed with the fish slowly following and was initially relieved that I could release her. The lead core had a typical "mono" type loop tied in the top and the lead and clip were jammed against it and in the weed. The heart breaking fact was that when I rolled the fish (26 lb mirror) over to unhook her, her bottom jaw had been snapped and was hanging limply against her "chest". It wasn't the twat that left the rig in her that had to kill her and bury her it was me, so excuse me if I try and educate anglers to the dangers whenever I get the chance.

L

little Stu!

Thats a sad story, in fact one close to a similar of mine. Educate away Keith.

I agree totally with the education of fish safety.