CARP MAGAZINES

Keith Moors

Reaction score
In the current situation of up to the minute news being available on the forums, do you still buy carp magazines and if so which ones and why?

Malc Bason

Reaction score
I never buy carp mags Keith, except very occasionally in the past I've picked one up to take with me to France, but even then, I did'nt really 'read' them.

The only one I have occasionally 'read' as I found it refreshingly 'different' and that is 'Carpology'.

I used to buy a lot of gear from Tim at England Angling, and he'd always pop one in for me.

S

Sage

I have a 35minute train journey each way to work, so yes, I still buy carp magazines.

matt

Reaction score
Although I rarely carp fish now,.I do buy Advanced carp fishing for its in depth articles on rigs and tactics.
It does no harm to keep up with developments. Information gained contributes to options available to you on the bank.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I buy them now and then even though I don't fish for carp. In fact I've been buying them for many years.

The detail and quantity present in the magazines outweighs what it available on the web currently. And I prefer the better print quality.

However, I'm sure that will all change as high bandwidth become available, higher screen resolution monitors become more widespread and web designers push the envelope.

F

Frothey

you hear about rigs/tactics on the web long before they are in mags matt (not b)

Big Mart

Reaction score
I go through periods over several months of buying a few then I stop reading them properly. Then I stops buying them again. My favourite one though is Carp Addict - Great pictures and some nice articles.

Weazle

Reaction score
I love the carp mags,they have taught me alot about the sport,always something new to try out.

L

Les Clark

I used to get " Carp World " without fail becouse i thought you could allways pick up a tip or find some information that you had used but forgotten and there where some good articles from the likes of Jenkins ,Warrick Paisley and even Mr Moors ,plus a chap called Elliot who has a dry wit , but the adverts far outweigh the articles and if one trader was selling gear at a knockdown price then they all were .
In the end i just got fed up with mags ,the entertainment value far outstripped the information value for me .

D

Dal (The merchant of Mennace & Don't mess with my

I used to buy the carp mags untill about 4 years ago untill I realised the majority in them was advertising. As frothey says I stick to the web now.

Keith Moors

Reaction score
Cheers Les. The problem that I had was finding enough INTERESTING and useful stuff to write about month after month. When I spoke to one name who still writes and asked how the hell he managed to keep up with four magazines he replied that he just wrote about the first load of rubbish that came into his head while eating his dinner. That comment was the turning point for me and I have only written the "live your dreams" articles since.

L

Les Clark

The rig article to me was just well over the top , with about five new rigs every month ,how many complicated rigs do you need , for me none ,i like to keep it simple .

Keith Moors

Reaction score
Absolutely mate. I am still basically using the same rig that I used in 1996. Once you've got a rig and a bait that works there's very little else to worry about.........except putting them where a carp will find and eat them.
We give carp too much credit for intelligence and writers promote it to convince newcomers to buy all the rig bits that "are essential" to outwit them.

reel+rod+line+weight+hook+worm=carp

F

Frothey

The problem that I had was finding enough INTERESTING and useful stuff to write about month after month

I think the people that use the mags the most are "beginners" for want of a better word, who havent seen a lot of the stuff before - but after a while you'll see the same stuff coming around again, which is why i rarely get any mags.
Even the rig articles arent exactly groundbreaking, normally slight variations on the rig from 2 months ago.
I onlyy buy one if theres something specific i want to see and i havent got time to stand in Smiths and read it!

Used to enjoy the Hearn/Warwick/Hutchy articles in Carpworld though.

Keith Moors

Reaction score
I totally agree Frothey and that's why I ran out of material. I don't use different rigs or baits very often. I've got one rig for the lake and a different one for the river and two different baits. How often can I write about them?

F

Frothey

Had the same converstaion with Graham once or twice....

once the "starting" articles have run out, they will become a "in-session" type of thing - so you can see where to get it all wrong! just hope i can get out often enough.....

Keith Moors

Reaction score
Frothey, I think your articles are blinding, please don't take anything that I said as reference to what you're writing. I have simply been carp fishing for forty years and have gradually realised that as long as you have a good rig and a good bait everything else is down to water-craft. If you haven't got feeding fish in your swim you ain't gonna catch em.

B

Brendan Ince

i agree with frothey and kieth ive not been fishing thet long and enjoy reading them . ill try to explain why i buy them ? i carnt ask a question ( normally on fm ) if i didnt now there was a question to be asked ? i.e in one of this months mags there is a articall about useing bread in a pva stick and making a pop up mix and tearing bits off the dough so it looks like a bit of bread and placing thet on youre hair if you do a quick price check if you buy a cheep loaf you could have 2 kg of stick mix 4 a quid which you could for a few p more add any coulor or flavour u wont to ? i know most of the more experianced of you have probley tryed this type of thing ? but i go fishing on my own and the m8s i have thet fish dont go carp fishing ( i.e they fish with a pole ) so 4 me any more info on carp fishing i can get might be thet 1 or 2 fish on the bank and at 3 quid a month it isnt thet much ?

F

Frothey

if it had been meant as that keith, it was way over my head LOL! its just hard to come up with a new angle, as by and large, there isnt one....