running rig or semi fixed rigs?

Colin W

Reaction score
whats the most popular running rigs [which seem to be on there way back] or semi fixed ?.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Going back about ten years I was the only person useing a running lead system with a bottom bait on one of the lakes where I fish.
Then one day in a bankside discusion, one of the lads said; I like that rig that Baz uses.

Staight away I was the centre of attention, so I covered my rig with the palm of my hand and haunched my body over it like we used to do at school so nobody could copy you. I wanted to keep the rig secretive for a while longer. Everybody else was useing semi fixed pop up rigs.

Today, I would say that 70% of them are useing running leads with bottom baits.

Colin W

Reaction score
cheers baz im going back to a running rig on my local water this friday so hopefully i will have good news to report he he, lol not had a good day last time i was out i had a big carp on went into the water with my brand new hooray henry wellies lost the carp fell in and slashed my new wellies.[just my luck.]

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

A nice little tip for you Colin.

If you want to make it semi fixed, and do away with all the bits and bobs or sliding stop knots try this-:

Take a rubber bead and push a fine sewing needle through it opposite to where the holes that are already in it are.

Thread the bead on your line first. You will find that the bead is a nice tight fit and requires no float stops to keep it in place. You can then move the bead to where ever you want it and it wont slip.

Follow with the lead.

Then another bead and the swivel and hooklength.

Alternatively.
Put the lead on the line first folowed by the doctored bead. Again it is then possible to move the bead without it slipping, yet it is easy enough for a fish to pull free should you snap above the bead.

Colin W

Reaction score
ok cheers baz i think i seen that in a magazine somewhere tight lines.

ByNasty

Reaction score
I've used a variation of the rig Baz but with a free running inline and a backstop 8 inches up the line. I started getting a lot more positive takes with a few twitches of the bobbin then a full blown screamer. The bites were quite spectacular after I had been plagued by little knocks and single bleeps on the alarm all day. Works very well for tench to.

Colin W

Reaction score
been useing the shocker rig with a back stop about 6 to 8 inches behind and its making a big differance[ lol seen it on the korda dvd's].

L

Les Clark

Baz you can aiso use a fine rig tube , run your line through ,put your rubber bead over the tube ,sorted ,wet the line if you need to move it .

catman

Reaction score
I love running rigs because the fish have no fixed point from which to throw the hook from. They are only effective when used in conjunction with a tight baitrunner because that is then you hooking mechanism. With a running rig the fish must take line and a tight baitrunner acts like a 10oz lead with anti eject properties - PERFECT!

catman

Reaction score
The trick is to use as heavy a lead as you can get away with so it holds bottom should a fish run towards you. As ageneral rule they don't tend to because if they run away from you there is only the baitrunner to pull whereas if they run towards you they have the already tight baitrunner and a heafty lead to pull.Which would you choose if you were a carp? Whether or not this is the reason I cannot remember getting a drop back until after the fish had already taken line first.

F

Frothey

how would i know i'm pulling against the lead and baitrunner until i've already pulled it? and by then the lead would've already moved.....

Emlyn Forbes

Reaction score
hi can anyone help me out im wondering what rig to use in the summer running rig or semi-fixed ,because the carp feed more aggressively in the summer dont they...thanks