FOX OR SHIMANO (reels)

Matt Eaves

Reaction score
I've been having to deal with cheapo reels and they caught up with me the last time i went fishing and broke so ive decided to buy some new ones and im stuck on two

Shimano Baitrunner Aero RE Reel- but then which one of them 5000, 6000 or 8000

My other choice was the Fox Stratos FS 10000 or if both good

I'LL GET BOTH

thanks for your replys

T

Terry D

Need to be a bit more explicit in what type of fishing you are going to cover with them. However, I always go for good engineering and proven history, so it's Shimano or Daiwa for me every time.

B

Brendan Ince

hi matt there are also 3 new fox reels two 700 and a new cheeper 1000 have a look on there web site they say the 700 are aimed at people targeting the 20 lb fish mark and the 1000s are for the bigger fish but i suppose once you catch thet 2o lb carp you wont a bigger one so the 1000 might work out a better long term reel ? as for fox vs shimano the argument goes on and on
shimano have been out for ages and therfor you will see alot more on youre travels around the places you fish and they also have a very good reputation .which has been built up on years and years of good service . on the other hand 15 years ago would you of wonted to own a skoda but now they a very nice car . whos to say thet in 5 years fox reels wont be the prefaired reels and if you look around you can get a fs1000 for 80 quid not a bad price ? hope this helps
brendan

William Bovington

Reaction score
Hi, I agree.Shimano do have a pedigree and there the ones i use ,However,Fox are an established company and although new to the market regarding reels,they have probably learnt from the best, and maybe ironed out quirks and faults seen at times in other reels ,as the japanese did in the car market,So it might be worth going to the local tackle shop and just getting a feel of both options.

catman

Reaction score
Shimano have a history of being quality reel manufacturers but I must say that Fox have come about as close as possible to beating 'em. If you are considering Fox 10000 I wouls also consider the shimano 10000. Same sort of price range but I persnally prefer the Shimanos. The front drag on the Fox's is their biggest downfall. Nice bit of kit all the same.

Keith Moors

Reaction score
I have to say that I have been using the fox reels for over six months now and for me the front drag is the main reason that I bought them. Personally I hate rear drag systems and think that the shimanos have the most unreliable clutch ever made. I have absolutely no complaints so far with the stratos and they have handled cats and carp to well over fifty pounds without missing a beat. The clutch is well designed and once set for your line strength needn't be touched again. It doesn't slip on casting but will give line during a fight when needed. Extremely good value for money.

E

Evan

Okuma's primary and core business is making and programming incredibly precise and expensive computer controlled machining equipment.

Something like 85% of worldwide reel parts are made on Okuma machines (I believe the primary exception is Daiwa, which makes and designs its own machinery).

The fact that a reel part is is made on Okuma machinery is no reason to call it a reel "made by Okuma", nor for the implied sneer that still seems to go with that epithet, usually from those who have never used one.

If that were the case then a large majority of Shimano reels amongst others should be rebadged "Shimano by Okuma"....

The design, cad/cam and testing work, quality of materials etc. are what makes a reel what it is. The make of the machines on which the component parts are then machined doesn't seem to me to matter tuppence.

A Fox reel is Fox conceived, Fox designed and Fox tested. It is no more an "Okuma" reel because the component parts were machined on their computer controlled milling machines than a BMW becomes a Jap car because someone fits NGK spark plugs...

After decades years of making reel parts for everyone else is it any surprise that Okuma decided it might as well make and market a range of reels under its own name ?.

And as they already owned their own machine tools and production infrastructure with no huge additional capital set up costs it is equally hardly surprising (in retrospect) that they were able to hit the market with such high quality products at such incredibly low prices.

Which was their big mistake, as an astute marketing man ought to have pointed out to them. People are suspicious of the unexpectedly cheap. Particularly after they have been 'educated' to believe that it is necessary to spend ?200+ to obtain a reel of quality. And having been induced to spend that much money the emotional reaction against something one fifth the price being said to be anything like as good...

shootinfishin

Reaction score
Before you get any more carried away Evan. I use Okuma Epix Pros!!

There was no sneer intended, in fact I wrote an article singing their praises elsewhere titled "Why I will never buy another shimano baitrunner"

Go on say sorry!! ;-)

E

Evan

Grovelling apologies.....

(To you maybe, but not to those who foolishly do use the phrase as an implied insulting epithet).

E

Evan

And before anyone accuses me of being an Okuma apologist, as equally blinkered as the Shimano-ists, bear in mind that I am in fact an unregenerate Mitchell Quartz fan.... :))

E

Evan

My watch is an Uzi with a radiation biohazard warning on the dial
My car has a modified hybrid Garrett with adjustable boost regulator :)
and I strongly suggest you ditch the French tyres for some decent Kumho KU31's - plus save yourself 50% of the cost too....

Talk about product bullshit, I even impress myself...

But for the avoidance of doubt the Mitchell Quartz range were the last real Mitchell reels made for 18 months or so in 1991 - 1992 before Mitchell went bust, was bought out by Americans and production shifted to inferior factories with inferior materials in Mexico; an object lesson in how it can take ten seconds of poor quality production to destroy a hard won reputation for quality built up over decades of effort.

Love my Quartzes.... so many detail design innovations that are still ahead of the present designs.

(But for V for M and quality at a price I frankly can't see how the Okumas can be beat....)

Alnath

Reaction score
If i had a quid for every time i heard someone say 'made by okuma' i would be well on my way to not being skint.

shootinfishin

Reaction score
I like Okumas,
Michelin Pilot sports are better than those Jap ones, If I was going to change the tyres at all it would be for the new Good Year Eagles that are coming out soon as I can get a 40% discount from a mate.

My watch is an adidas, stop laughing theres a Breitling on the way, the colour of the face matches my mobile and car, who's that for an accessory tart :)!

Macca_EFC

Reaction score
Is said car the one pictured? looks like the 3 series saloon, with alpina wheels, or are you a lucky so and so who owns a genuine alpina and not just the badges? :0P