The Current Weather

Blunderer

Reaction score
Usually at this time of year the carp really start to feed. I have had some great catches when the water is first warming up in late March/early April.

I am going for a 2 night session this weekend, though, and I am worried.

Although we had a mild winter and a couplf of weeks of high temperatures, obviously the last 3-4 days have been freezing with Northerlies.

The forecast for the weekend is 10-11 degrees in the day, 3 at night, with light Easterlies.

How do you guys feel the weekend will be for carp fishing at a moderately difficult lake where winter captures are rare? I have half a mind to cancel as I feel it could be a complete waste of time. Surely the water temperatures will be right down compared to last weekend.

Can anyone give me any encouragement?

Fred Blake

Reaction score
If you get any warm sunshine between ten am and two pm try the shallowest water you can find, as long as it isn't shaded from the sun. Anywhere close to reedbeds or where there are clear areas of shallows between lilies in summer is well worth trying from lunchtime through to sunset, particularly if carp are seen to feed there in summer.

If your lake doesn't have any significant amount of shallow water - say less than two feet deep - try fishing a suspended bait within two feet of the surface in areas of water undisturbed by wind and in direct sun.

The cold wind and snow showers we've been having, plus the frosts forecast for tonight, will chill the water as you say; this cold water will sink, so if you fish the deepest water you can find it will also be the coldest, unless the surface water is below 39.2F. The sun is strong enough (and has been since the beginning of February) to warm up shallow areas during the day and, as long as there isn't a chilly wind to counter the effect, my money says that's where the carp will be.

The best bit of all is that the fish in these places will probably be quite undisturbed; most anglers head for the deeps in winter, unthinkingly believing that's where the warmest water will be.

From mid-January and through February I had about fifteen carp from a local lake, nearly all caught on cold, still but sunny days after frosty nights, and all taken in less than two feet of water. The few others who fished all chose the other, deeper end of the lake, and blanked. My only fishless day came when the sky clouded over mid-morning and a breeze sprang up from the north-west. On that day I tried several swims during the afternoon without so much as a twitch, nor did I see any fish, either rolling, bubbling or cruising.

So don't dispair - if you can put a good bait near a fish without scaring it there's every chance it'll take it. I don't know about your chances at night though - it might be best to pull the rods in and bury yourself in a good sleeping bag!

PS - are you the same Blunderer who occasionally posts on the Waterlog forum?

Blunderer

Reaction score
Fred
A wonderful reply, with lots of sense.
There are margin and the odd sandbar at this lake, although the margins are probably 4 foot and the bars more like 10. I like your idea of a suspended/zig rigged bait, and will report back on my catch( if any). Unfortunately, the wind is due East and the weather cloudy.

Yes, I am the same one!!!

F

Frothey

it was actually quite mild last night, waters still very cold though....

Fred Blake

Reaction score
If it's any encouragement (or consolation) I'll be out this weekend trying for a carp as well. Can't seem to get enthused about local stillwater trout yet this year and, as the Avon trout fishing doesn't get going properly for another month, carp it is. The water I'll be fishing has yet to produce a carp for me (though I lost an absolute clonker last June, the pain of which still hasn't faded completely) so my chances are pretty slim, but you never know. If I can find them I can catch them - that's the theory anyway.

Good luck with your trip - at least the frosts should stay away so the nights won't be too uncomfortable.

Richard Turner 3

Reaction score
i did a 48 hr stint last weekend (east mids)i had the lake to myself so did a bit of roaming around during the warmest part of the day like fred said i found the shollowest part of the lake next to some small reeds and there he was bubbling away after chucking in half a dozen 10mm boillies and a small amount of pellets and maize i waited for ten mins before introducing my hook bait i layed the rod on the ground and waited and waited and then away it goes after about an hour after a good scrap it was on the bank a lovelly 21lb common the only fish of the weekend but well worth it my advice is if possible dont just sit on your rods get up and have a walk round you never no good hunting

C

Cakey

The Met near me zilch nothing coming out......
but Brooky just down the road is chucking out left right and centre..........its a funny ole game