Any tips on Spodding?

PTnymph

Reaction score
Does any one have any tips for me on how to some spoding as I am trying a new carp water near me.

Trisantona

Reaction score
Yeah,you need a spod rod, a spod ,and some bait..p.s.don't post on april 1st.tight lines.

PTnymph

Reaction score
What sort of an answer is that? I am not taking the mickey here as it maybe April the 1st but this is an geniune question as I have never done any spodding before!

captain carrott

Reaction score
best to put a marker out to aim at when you do it. clip up to keep it going the same distance, try to feather it in or follow it down with the rod tip.

use a spod with holes in for boilies. and a full sided one for particles.
hope that helps

PTnymph

Reaction score
Thanks Dave you're a star at least a better answer than Trisantona!

Trisantona

Reaction score
I don't think my post was offensive or giving mis-information,unlike some of the posts i have seen on here by so called experts,anyway a few tips..spodding a load of bait at this time of year could be the kiss of death unless you are fishing for tame carp on a commercial,also it only usually works over a two or more day session.tight lines.

T

The Monk

I think the problem was Andrew, because Budgie is your brother and a very experienced angler many of us presumed yours was an April fool post mate!

Trisantona

Reaction score
Matter of oppinion Frothey,depends on how stupid the carp are in any given water,i could take you to a place where the fish follow bait boats and grab the bait before it hits bottom,then there's those bloody groundbait floats,catch loads of fish on commercials,some of which have reached decent sizes on all the bait that's chucked at em ,but for some of us oldies who have been in the game forty odd years it just don't seem right somehow.

Trisantona

Reaction score
Oh BTW frothey ,i wasn't referring to you in any way,your article was excellant.

F

Frothey

Didnt think that Grant ;)

What I meant is that we are going into the period where all carp (pressured or not!) are going to be on a major munch, pre and post spawning so are on the look out for lots of easy meals - so its the time of year I'm most likely to use a lot of bait, but it'll be decent food stuff.....

the other thing about the spodding - I agree that a lot of fish can spook if you drop a spod on top of it in shallow water, but in deep water - especially when theres chop on it - I dont think its as much of a prob.

also, wheres the harm in spodding if the fish aren't there? if you know your lake well, and know that the fish are likely to visit a certain are at around 7am, no problem in getting there at 5, spodding for half an hour or so, and have everything quiet for when they get there? cant spook fish that arent near your swim can you?

Fred Blake

Reaction score
Ah, but that relies on local knowledge and experience. By his own admission Andrew does not know the water in question, so there is a risk that he may inadvertantly do more harm than good by spodding a couple of pounds of bait out at random. It might work a treat, but the odds are against it.

Better to start by putting some bait in a couple of margin swims (ones that look likely to be visited by carp obviously) and watching what happens. You can then feel your way in gradually, piecing each bit of information together to build the bigger picture. It won't bring instant results, but then that's not what fishing is about.

It's just a shame so many people think they can learn angling by rote, copying successful anglers without ever knowing why certain tackle, methods, baits or locations work.

F

Frothey

The margins on Andy's water are a sheer 22ft drop - its an old clay put, so unfortunately normally chocolate brown in colour.

Still cant understand why if we forget the delivery method (which is no noisier than balling in groundbait, if anything its quieter) why putting a fair amount of bait in will do more harm than good though. fish dont spook off beds of bait, they spook off the signal it gives off.

And we all copy anglers at some point in our angling lives, we couldnt have started without doing it. Its the only way to learn......

Fred Blake

Reaction score
It doesn't mean you should keep on copying though. All the anglers who, in one way or another, have contributed to our collective knowledge, have done so through independant thought.

As for whether spodding causes more disturbance than other methods, well no, it probably doesn't in deep water. But I would still be cautious of introducing too much bait unless I had a definite reason for so doing, based on experience of the water in question.

How often have we picked a swim that looks ideal and is known to produce carp (or tench, bream - whatever), sit there watching motionless indicators all day, only to have someone stroll past at some point and say 'You won't do no good there mate; fished it all weekend without a sniff. Put two thousand boilies and six tins of tiger nits out an' all!'

It's happened to me many times.

F

Frothey

How often have we picked a swim that looks ideal and is known to produce carp

your fault for plumping for the easy "going swim" option, rather than finding feeding fish lol!

Fred Blake

Reaction score
OK then fair point. What I should have said was "...picked a swim that looks good based on experience and prevailing conditions and which has produced carp (or whatever species you seek) in the past; not one of those mysterious swims that never produces fish (and there are a few about)."

Fishing over someone else extravagent groundbaiting has been the cause of many a blank session, though one usually only finds out about it when it's too late.