Steve Neville Bite Alarms

Blunderer

Reaction score
I know this is my own stupid fault but here goes anyway:

I was out fishing this weekend in the wind and I reached a decision. I was sick of my Fox MMXs playing up.

Time to invest in some decent ones.

I rushed to the shop, leaving my tackle, and quickly decided on 3 Steve Neville bite alarms at ?72 each. I knew them by reputation and went for it.

It was only when I got back to the water that I relaised that these things, nice looking though they are, have no volume (apart from earsplitting), no sensitivity (apart from ultra-sensitive) and no tone.

I know it my own fault by I totally assumed that a ?70 bite alarm would of course have these things.

What a waste of money - who would buy these?

Dopy idiots in a rush like me, I suppose...

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
I don't want to pile more misery on blunderer but a fiver bite alarm does all that ,oh and you could have had a set of delks for that ,what job do you have as you are obviously paid to well mate.

W

Wolfman Woody

I don't mind pouring on the misery because it might make you think twice next time -

A fool and his money are soon parted.

They're not only expensive, they're damned ugly too. What make of car do you drive, out of interest? :eek:)

You can buy sound mufflers for them at around a tenner. More money! You must be made of it.

PS. I do sympathise, really. Instead of throwing them crappy old MMXs away into a land fill, why not send them here for re-cycling. I'll reimburse your postage, I promise.

F

Frothey

foam ear protectors fit in the nevilles, you change the sensitivity by changing the roller wheel.

nev's were designed for the "extra" rod - you can submerge them and they still work. you are forced by law to use them if you live near yateley......

T

The Monk

you are forced by law to use them if you live near yateley......

I suppose bank side shredding is out of the question then?

Blunderer

Reaction score
I'm taking them back to exchange for some Delks.

Frothey - do you mean adjust the wheel or actually put a new one in? Not the easiest task just because the wind has picked up...!

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
I also sympathise I once bought a full packet of hooks, a new brand at 99 p,they were rubbish needless to say there was no sleep for me for a week and I was very very grumpy.

john blundell

Reaction score
take them back mate??? Surely if new, with receipt, you'd have no probs swapping for others or getting a refund or credit note. I know thats what i'd do.

F

Frothey

new wheels with less magnets in them blunderer.

john - theres not actually anything wrong with them, they arent faulty so you arent "entitiled" to anything..... caveat emptor. depends how nice your tackle shop are....

john blundell

Reaction score
If they're perfect condition though you are within your rights to return them by law within a certain amount of time. As long as they are perfect condition and able for item to be resold. They are no obliged to refund you, but you want alarms, so you can just get others in their place and explain they aren't what you're after.

I know i'd go and get them sorted. I often take things back and swap/refund/return a lot of things if i'm not 100% happy. You gotta fight your corner cos shops will rip you off given half the chance!

Try it! They can only say no!

C

Cakey

ps for sensitivity buy standard 4 mag rollers and with a pin pick two mags out (opposite each other)...........these will cost around a fiver each
2 mag rollers are dearer and harder to get

p.s. the rollers are very easy to change

C

Cakey

nevs and the nash copies are some of the best alarms around and I hardly see any in for repair

I do a few mods on them i.e. I fit an LED under the roller to light it up after fitting fluro rollers which look very pretty at night

F

Frothey

If they're perfect condition though you are within your rights to return them by law within a certain amount of time

since when? only if they arent fit for purpose, and you will only be able to argue that they arent if you specifically asked them for adjustable sensitivity, volume, etc.

couln't you fit a high/low volume switch cakes?

C

Cakey

no mate .................they use a piezo buzzer which is mechanical ,other alarms use electronic ones which can then have volume controls

C

Cakey

which is why they are one tone also

they are tiny alarms and no room for more electronics and controls and the new ones have the better cases (old cases the scews holding the back on swelled the case out )

Blunderer stick with them you will not be disappointed if you spend a few more quid on rollers and plugs

Blunderer

Reaction score
I have rung the shop - Daves of Middlewich - and explained the situation. they are happy to exchange for other goods. It is, however, about 70 miles away which is a pain.

Cakey, you have made me think. Just how easy is the roller change? Seconds? And do the plugs look silly?

I was going to change for Delkim EVs. should I? what do thers think? I know you know know your stuff, Cakey.

C

Cakey

the delk at around 60 quid is a very good alarm and does everything you want it to do plus more so you have to do what you are happy with and swap to suit your needs

Im just sticking up for Stevie Neville alarms and saying they aint as bad as your title makes out

C

Cakey

Frotheys link also shows the rollers if you click on the 2nd picture (from left)