Carp Landing

Nik Foad

Reaction score
So I'm new to fishing. Started on the river and then over to the commercials. With commercials focussed on carp - hey presto I'm slowly joining the carpers.

Having good fun enjoying my local lakes and learning eachtime I go out. Even eneded up buying matching kit to keep up with the neighbours!!

At some fisheries I catch fish with goofy mouths - obviously "catch damage."

As a fish lover before I became a fisherman - how do I avoid this other than the obvious (no barbs and braid hook length)?
Should I land quickly by pulling in ASAP?
Should I play and land at leisure?

Or are you going to tell me it's something in between?

Help appreciated...

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Hi Nik.
This subject has been covered recently. I think it is on the clattercote thread.

However, I think that once you get off the comercials, you might not find so much damage to fish's mouths. especially if you go on the rivers, where repeat captures are not as prolific.

B

Brendan Ince i carnt spell

hi nik
slightly going off the point but buy a bottle of klinx (antiseptic) and if you catch a fish thets looking bad you can try and treat it only cost about ?8 and will last you ages

dadondo

Reaction score
hi nik i always play the fish until its rolled and given up the fight no matter what size it is ,the benefit of this is it also makes photographing easier . i hope this helps cheers.

Nik Foad

Reaction score
Brendan - I'll look into the Klinx.

Peter - this is the policy I have followed but it's amazing how the fights vary from venue to venue.

Thanks for the pointers.