Rod & Reel Advice

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was hoping for a little advice on new tackle if someone has the time. I've not fished properly for a few years now and am looking to upgrade my rods / reels.

I'm looking for a rod that's suitable for general course and carp. I generally float fish for carp and am not fussed about needing to cast something out miles. The only rod that I've seen so far that seems suitable is the Greys Prodigy Specimen - http://www.greysfishing.com/98-Prodigy_Specimen.html
I don't want anything too heavy duty as where I fish I'm not likely to catch anything over 15 - 20lbs. What are people's views on this rod and are there any others that I should be looking at?

In terms of a reel. I really have no idea what to look for. Again, I'm not after anything too heavy duty, 8 - 10lb line is probably the heaviest I'll use. Any recommendations would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

F

Frothey

go for an avon rod, and a 6000 sized baitrunner - should cover most situations

Reaction score
There's alot of rods on the market that would be suited for your needs.
The Greys rod looks nice and Harrison also produce some nice rods too.
Leslies of luton do a good selection of rods www.leslies-fishing.co.uk and they produce a great catologue which is well worth getting which shows a huge selection for you to nose through.

One tip check the rod and reel you choose will fit each other. I've the Harrisons Chimera snag rod and a fox kevlar rod and the baitrunners will not fit on due to the small reel seats.

If it were me I would go for a rod from Harrisons Chimera range. Lovely rods, well made, great action and top build quality.

Reels: I have so many from Daiwa and Shimano including the Stella reel and I find the Shimano Twin Power front drag takes some beating. Feels tighter than the Daiwa reels I have and is stronger and as smooth as the Stella which I also have.
They are not cheap but very nice reels.

So much tackle out there its a real mine field but at least its nice to have so many to select from.