Uni knots

P

Paul Hawkins

I'm a convert to marking casting lengths with braid marker knots. I use a five turn stop knot but quite often end up with them jamming in the tip ring and slipping .
Fox recommend the uni knot for their dayglow braid markers. Is that a grinner(which is what I would call the knot I am using at the moment)?

C

Carp Angler

Almost, the Uni or Clinch knot is the same as the Grinner just tied the opposite way around.
where as with the Grinner, you go up, form the loop, down and then start going around the knot from the bottom to the top, with the Uni you go from the top to the bottom.

Clear?

C

Carp Angler

Dunno, never used a stop knot..
If I need to mark distance then I clip up.
I'll experiment with some knots and let you know.
Marker braid?????????????
Is that a neccesity?

P

Philip Inzani

Yeah I am having a bit of a "mare" with line markers at the moment..either they dont pass cleanly through the rings or they slip. Leaving the stop knots tail a bit longer helps a bit but I've tried power gum, elastic bands, pole elastic, Tippex and now I am on electrical tape folded over the line and I am not happy with any of them so far.

Help!

P

paul williams

For what it's worth Phil, i also can't get on with braid as a marker, (or a stop knot) and use a lighter mono, another way to hit target is to clip up, but use a stop knot with one long tag, use the long tag to clip up with instead of the main line. When you conect with the fish pull the long tag from the clip and let battle commence!!!

C

Carp Angler

OK, I've played around with some different materials and different knots.

If you want to use braid as your marker on mono mainline then the best thing I've found is to tie the braid into a loop, pass it around the mainline and then tie a 4 turn water knot.(That's the one where you form it into a loop and then wrap it around itself 4 times)
Being doubled and then with 4 further turns, this seems to spread the load of the knot, most other knots reulted in damage to the mono when I pulled the knot really tight to avoid slippage.

This can then be trimmed as required.

I still personally don't use marker knots, preferring to use the reel clip.
Paul will testify to the effectiveness of this, as he saw me clipping the leaves of a bush at 100+ yards today.

P

paul williams

No marker Knot or feathering would have enabled Rik to put his bait tight to the 100yd bushes like he did today, i have never had to do it before but i know what method i'll be using if and when......but i still think i'm better looking and i want a picture!!!!!!!!!!!!!

J

Jon Moores

Carp

I'm with you on the effectiveness of clipping up as the best way of getting absolute accuracy, but use the marker knot as a way of re clipping after a fish (or more often forgetting to re clip when reeling in). Like others I've never really got them quite satisfactory though and I'll try your suggestion.

P

Philip Inzani

I am getting confused. Like Rik I use a line clip for casting accuratly to islands, trees etc but then I remove the line from the clip and put a marker on the line so that I can reclip later on.

I dont get what people are saying about putting a marker on the line for casting and then not clipping up ? Sorry I may be missing the obvious, can someone explain ?

C

Carp Angler

some people use marker knots instead of clipping up.
I clip up, cast and then leave it in the clip.
If I'm fishing to an Island or far bank margin, I don't want the fish to run, so after casting I leave it in the clip and fish locked up.
You don't want a fish taking line off a baitrunner when fishing close to bushes etc.