braid or mono for spodding

Keith Moors

Reaction score
Two things immediately spring to mind.
1. Beach casters never cast to a clip so the leader and light line works fine.
2. Casting a heavy spod to a clip on a shock leader and light line simply means that when the crack off occurs it breaks at the leader knot leaving the spod trailing ten yards of heavy leader. In a weedy lake this can foul into weed and create yet another snag.
With the diameter of braid and their suppleness 40 lb braid will outcast 15 lb mono.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I have never had a crack off with braid and use it straight to the spod clip.

I fish with a group of lads a number of times during the year, out of 6 of us 5 use braid,the other 1 is changing to braid.

Its cost him as much in spods as my braid cost.

I also use braid on my marker float, how many of you do, never had a crack off on that either.

F

Frothey

dunno whether that was commenting on me talking about using 8lb dia. braid - i use braid on my spod and marker rods, just wouldnt use 8lb braid with a leader!

F

Frothey

up until this year, yup. only not using it 'cos most of my fishings at 10-15yds out

Keith Moors

Reaction score
For fishing the river Saone I use 50 lb braid main line with 110 lb snag leader and then lead core, safety bead etc. You have to try and stop, or at least slow them down, if you are going to have any chance of landing them and I have found that the braid that I am using cuts through the lilly stems perfectly.

F

Frothey

as its all margin type fishing, i'd rather have a little bit of stretch in the line

easier to get the mono to sink - dont want to backlead

cant use leadcore, and dont want to use tubing. cant see the point of having a 20ft flouro leader on when fishing 40ft out!

Matty C

Reaction score
fluoro mainline for me.. dunno if it makes any differance to catch rate, but Im confident in it

Matty C

Reaction score
brain hooklength mostly.. sometimes fluoro again, depending on circumstances

Keith Moors

Reaction score
matty you'll have to give us more on this brain hooklink. Sounds like something from "thinking tackle."