Why are they so successful?

dezza

Reaction score
When it comes to the International Carp Angling Championships, there seems to be one team in it, and they are the South Africans. They have won this tournament four times in succession.

The question is why? They must have been doing something right and whilst for myself I am not a particularly fanatical competitive angler, I certainly want to find out more about their techniques, because these ideas can help anglers, and not only carp anglers, catch more fish.

Last years I spent several weeks fishing in South Africa. I was invited to examine the methods, and even fish with a few very effective carp anglers. What I learned was not only enlightening, but logical. The SA anglers use simple common sense and shortly I will be "spilling some of the beans" as it were in a national magazine.

Look out for it.

Last edited:

cg74

Reaction score
I don't think its why are RSA so successful, more why does our lot do so badly, take their dire performance at Linears, cringeworthy springs to mind.

That said, its always good to see what others are doing differently.

dezza

Reaction score
I don't think its why are RSA so successful, more why does our lot do so badly, take their dire performance at Linears, cringeworthy springs to mind.

Somehow I don't believe that our English carp anglers were so bad. After all they were second in the last competition. But SA beat lots of other anglers, many of which were the best each nation could find.

cg74

Reaction score
Somehow I don't believe that our English carp anglers were so bad. After all they were second in the last competition. But SA beat lots of other anglers, many of which were the best each nation could find.

Ron, our team were bloody appalling when they fished at Linears; I'm a fairly average angler and if I'd caught the same as our team, I'd be pretty down beat and asking endless questions and that'd be after the first 24 hrs...

Then last year in SA; if the venue necessitated a long cast -140+ yards wasn't it? Then you pick a team that can do that consistently. Also they were fishing for small fish, so select a team that's adept at bagging up.

As for coming second; before that gets celebrated, look at the nations below us; Greece and Spain were among them, not much needs adding.

When can we expect these revalations to be published and which mag?

dezza

Reaction score
en last year in SA; if the venue necessitated a long cast -140+ yards wasn't it?

Read my piece when it comes out and it may help you cast 200 metres consistantly.

I think they were fishing at Bloemhof Dam, which is a large impounded section of the Vaal River. I fished it ca 1984 when I was hunting big yellowfish. Its a huge piece of water with a gently sloping shore, so it helps if you can cast the double ton. Bloemhof is stuffed with huge populations of medium sized carp around 5 to 8 lbs, and there are a few whoppers up to 50 lbs if you can find them.

I remember catching 1 yellowfish, a large mouth of 20 lbs. I did however catch 40 odd carp to 16 lbs, but most of them were in the 2 to 6 lb bracket. That was in two days fishing. Bloemhof was about 400 miles from my home.

---------- Post added at 12:51 ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 ----------

When can we expect these revalations to be published and which mag?

I will tell you in good time.

cg74

Reaction score
Read my piece when it comes out and it may help you cast 200 metres consistantly.

I think they were fishing at Bloemhof Dam, which is a large impounded section of the Vaal River. I fished it ca 1984 when I was hunting big yellowfish. Its a huge piece of water with a gently sloping shore, so it helps if you can cast the double ton. Bloemhof is stuffed with huge populations of medium sized carp around 5 to 8 lbs, and there are a few whoppers up to 50 lbs if you can find them.

I remember catching 1 yellowfish, a large mouth of 20 lbs. I did however catch 40 odd carp to 16 lbs, but most of them were in the 2 to 6 lb bracket. That was in two days fishing. Bloemhof was about 400 miles from my home.

---------- Post added at 12:51 ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 ----------

I will tell you in good time.

I already can cast 150-200 metres, but that's with my Daiwa beach rod, which has an appalling playing action, this isn't meant as a dig but aren't you the first to criticise the usage of poker actioned rods?

---------- Post added at 01:21 ---------- Previous post was at 01:13 ----------

Can you cast 200m (218 yards) consistantly with a realisticaly setup & baited end rig ?

A 6oz lead and a squid on the hook, I can but that not for carp!

Must add; the depth of water wants to be at least 20ft, otherwise your bait will be sunk 3ft into the lake bed...

dezza

Reaction score
Can you cast 200m (218 yards) consistantly with a realisticaly setup & baited end rig ?

No as I'm quite frankly too old. I used to be able to do over 100 metres with a Jim Gibbinson Clooper, 8 lb line and a Mitchell 410 in the 70s. But I've seen these guys do incredible distances with a mealie bomb.

dezza

Reaction score
You love those Mitchells on the quite!---- UNSURPASSED!!!!!

In the late 60s and early 70s before Shimano came on the scene, the Mitchell was probably the best long distance caster due to its wide spool and line lay. But when the first sea spins came out on the market, it was no contest.

The top Daiwa Big Pit reels I think hold world distance casting records. These reels were originally built for beach casting and today they can better top class multiplying reels. In the right hands distances of over 300 metres are possible.

Reaction score
Any chance of a decent precis and/ or expanded article for FM Ron?

I'm fascinated by the essential oil/ taster and hooker stuff you've alluded too...

Why are the SA's so far ahead?

Philip

Reaction score
In the late 60s and early 70s before Shimano came on the scene, the Mitchell was probably the best long distance caster due to its wide spool and line lay. But when the first sea spins came out on the market, it was no contest.

The top Daiwa Big Pit reels I think hold world distance casting records. These reels were originally built for beach casting and today they can better top class multiplying reels. In the right hands distances of over 300 metres are possible.

Trouble is some of the casting monsters are so big you need a barrow just to carry them.

I see allot of ***** (..silly things..) written about reels and the various factors that make it a long caster. However I recon the biggest single factor to making a good distance reel is a long spool and by that I mean distance from the back of spool to lip at the front so that even after allot of coils have come off the spool is still filled to near lip level by line.

I'm probably not explaining it very well but you may know what I mean. The number of bearings, fancy rachets and so on play no part at all. There are some very cheap reels out there that are potential casting monsters. You dont need to pay £300+...

dezza

Reaction score
I'm probably not explaining it very well but you may know what I mean. The number of bearings, fancy rachets and so on play no part at all. There are some very cheap reels out there that are potential casting monsters. You dont need to pay £300+...

Prior to "big pit" reels, the best thing you could obtain for real distance casting was a Grice and Young "Orlando" centre pin side casting reel. This had a large wide spool you removed and placed on a centre axle pointing forwards. To avoid line twist there was a switch to tell you to place the spool the opposite way for the next cast.

These reels as far as I know are still being made in Knysna in the Cape Province. They are as cheap as chips.

Keith M

Reaction score
No as I'm quite frankly too old. I used to be able to do over 100 metres with a Jim Gibbinson Clooper, 8 lb line and a Mitchell 410 in the 70s. But I've seen these guys do incredible distances with a mealie bomb.

Memories! I used to have two of these which I built from kits sold by Going Bros of Southend, a lot of water has flowed under the bridge since then but I still have one in the shed somewhere together with my old Mitchells and Abu 55's.

I never managed to cast much further than 80 yards with mine but I have always been a bad caster :D.

Last edited:

dezza

Reaction score
I think I should spill a couple of beans at this juncture.

Although the ability to cast a long way may have influenced the great success of the South African FIPSed team, there is something far more important that has helped them do the business.

If you carp anglers have not read about this already, I can tell you that Korda International have taken the job of marketing Kiana Goo world wide. This is by far the most important development in carp fishing baiting techniques since the invention of the boilie.

Not only that but Kiana Goo will help any angler catch more fish, especially cyprinids such as carp, barbel, chub, bream, tench, roach, rudd and dace. Whether you are a specimen hunter or a matchman, Goo will increase your catch rate considerably.

The Kiana company is actually run by the two members of the South African Team, Loutjie Loewie and Gilbert Foxcroft. SA have won the FIPSed world championships now for 4 years on the trot.

Goo in several different flavours and colours in now available from any Korda retailer.

And I do not work for either Korda or Kiana.

But I know what goes into it!