Mainline recommendations please? Fluro or Mono......?

Medders

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I was just after some up to date recommendations for a mainline please. I normally fish 12lb line as this is perfect for my style of fishing, I don't need any heavier and I fish slack lines most of the time. I've never used fluro, I understand the benefits of fluro but I've never splashed out for it (although my mate has picked up 1000mtrs of Maxima Flurocoated (is coated different to fluro or the same??!!) for under £20!!).

I think most lines suffer from twist, it's just the way it is. Lately I've used ProTough and Adrenaline and both did twist eventually but neither of them let me down.

What do use/rate and why?

Thanks in advance if you reply!!

terry m

Reaction score
I use the Shimano Technium mono. It is a little more expensive but I like its' suppleness. 12lb bs suits most of my carp angling, but will step up to 1lb if snaggy or when piking.

Personally yet to be convinced by the whole fluoro scene.

Medders

Reaction score
I use the Shimano Technium mono. It is a little more expensive but I like its' suppleness. 12lb bs suits most of my carp angling, but will step up to 1lb if snaggy or when piking.

Personally yet to be convinced by the whole fluoro scene.

Thanks Terry, I used the Technium 15lb Mono when I went to France a couple of years ago, I found it quite wirey. Obviously the diameter of the 12lb would be less, is it also more supple than the 15lb then?

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've never used fluro, I understand the benefits of fluro but I've never splashed out for it (although my mate has picked up 1000mtrs of Maxima Flurocoated (is coated different to fluro or the same??!!) for under £20!!).

Flurocoated usually means that it's mono with a fluro coating. It's not true fluro, hence the lesser price. I can't quite countenance using pure fluro as a mainline. While it does have benefits (it sinks like a stone and is less visible), I don't like the downsides (abrasion resistance is dismal compared to mono).

I'm not overly fussed about the line I use for carping, not much point worrying when it's the hooklinks that are the important bit. I tend to use the old style Fox Soft Steel. It's as tough as old boots and hasn't ever let me down. I've also managed to accumulate a fair stock of the stuff at knock down prices.

Medders

Reaction score
Flurocoated usually means that it's mono with a fluro coating. It's not true fluro, hence the lesser price. I can't quite countenance using pure fluro as a mainline. While it does have benefits (it sinks like a stone and is less visible), I don't like the downsides (abrasion resistance is dismal compared to mono).

I'm not overly fussed about the line I use for carping, not much point worrying when it's the hooklinks that are the important bit. I tend to use the old style Fox Soft Steel. It's as tough as old boots and hasn't ever let me down. I've also managed to accumulate a fair stock of the stuff at knock down prices.

Fair point that Sam, I'll have a butchers at the Fox Steel. Thanks for confirming the meaning of flurocoated, makes sense!!

Medders

Reaction score

Do you use the Adaptive Camo or XS? I think the only difference is the colour, any ideas Sam?

Philip

Reaction score
Big Game. Still using it and I dont lose many fish.

I liked Fox soft steel but it was almost double the price when i last purchased it so went back to BG again.

freebird7

Reaction score
persoanlly I keep it cheap and simple. Daiwa Sensor its my standard go to line for most uses.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I'm with Jerry. For anything other than float fishing/trotting its Pro Gold or Pro Clear though I'm thinking of trying that Korda Subline this season in my bid to become a carp angler.

Anybody used it ? Supposed to be a good sinker or is that just a bit of marketing hype ?

Medders

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, some interesting points raised!! I nearly bought some Shimano Technium to go with my Shimano mini big pits but opted for some Daiwa Sensor brown, saved myself about £20 as well with that decision lol !!!

billyf

Reaction score
I personally prefer flouro now, i like the lack of stretch and the sinks like a brick factor.
Most flouros are alot tougher abrasion wise aswell aalthough they will not cast aswell

fongy74

Reaction score
Pure fluorocarbon is not the same as coated,i used a pure fluorocarbon as a mainline for a season and changed it back to mono with a fluorocarbon hooklink when the situation called for it.Personaly i thought i wasted my money lining my reels with pure fluorocarbon it tends to be alot stiffer than mono aswell as being high maintainence,to get the best from your fluorocarbon mainline it is recommended that you clean it at the end of each session,that can be done by reeling it through a clean damp cloth on retrevial from your last cast.There are definate benefits to using fluorocarbon especially for concealment reasons but my fishing was affected by using a pure fluoro and improved when i whent back to a mono mainline with a fluoro hooklength or leader.This was my experience with the particular brand of fluorocarbon that i bought and im not saying their all likely to behave that way but my faith in the product was weakend by the lines performance so for me it's mono everytime.

---------- Post added at 02:23 ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 ----------

I would have to agree with Philip, Berkley Big game is a great line i use the ultra clear and it's never let me down it's track record is second to none truly a great monofilament.