River carp

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Here's one for the carp crew.

I'm starting to get a plan together for next year.

Myriver holds big carp (a 30+ came out not too long ago) the venue is locked be weirs at either end (I can't say too much).

So I'm thinking of a pre-baiting campaign during the closed season, it's only ten minutes from my house, but quite a walk when I get there.

I tried it last year with maize, wheat, hemp, pellets and boilies, but I think I got the location wrong. I've got a different area in mind this time and I am very confident.

Boats are a big problem and there is no night fishing.

So my question is; what bait, how much and how often?

Cheers guys and a Merry Chrimbo to you all.

Steve.

Cider Bob (GBs)

Reaction score
Maize.

Get down the wholesalers and buy a 25kg sack of the stufffor £8.

Bait up for 7-14 days, a kilo a day. On the last 3 days tail off the maize andstart to introduce your hookbait over the top of the maize.

Maybe flavour your maize in something which is similar to your hookbait?

The maize (french) is a bit bigger than your average corn,is nice and visable and dosnt break down to quickly. And Carp love it.

Mithrandir

Reaction score
Bob, how do you prepare the maize, soaking and boiling is the norm, but getting 25kg ready could be a mare, any easy ways?

gerry h

Reaction score
put it in a big bin and pour boiling water over and stir ,you can do it over a week and let it mature

Cider Bob (GBs)

Reaction score
I do mine in batches of about 5 pints.

I soak for 12-24 hrs then boil for 1/2 an hour to an hour,or go with what Gerry says.

wayne brooks

Reaction score
prepare it now while the weather is crap and then put it in bags of about 1/2 kilos each and freeze it. when you get up each morning take a bag out to defrost and when you get home from work it'll be ready to go in.

as for location spend a bit of time this year looking for them. wherever you see them patrol, bait that spot up and don't neglet the margins. none of my river carp this year were caught further than 25 foot out.

i'm gonna be doing the same this year but maize will be my hookbait too. flavour it mildly (your loosefeed) and glug your hookbait in the same flavour.

hope this helps and good luck mate!

wayne brooks

Reaction score
sorry that was meant to be 1 or 2 kilos!/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gifnot 1/2

bream would kill that in seconds

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Thanks guys,

I forgot to mention the bream, it is stacked out with them!

As for location, I know where they are, I've seen them in different areas. Last year I made the mistake of thinking I could draw them to where I wanted to catch them, wrong!

Cheers.

Steve.

S

Steph McKenzie

Hi Steve,

Maize is a great bait, it flavours extremely well also, the trick is to soak it plenty before boiling it, you can use the water you used to soak it in to cook it in also. Freeze the Maize after it has been cooked, this allows the flavours to soak into the bait.

Don't forget baits like Hemp (Cheap as Chips) and also an excellent attractor for Carp, as above Pre soak them for 24 hours then boil them until they just start to split.

Then there's Pellets, these can also be brought from some Pet stores and the likes, and generally work out cheaper than buying them from tackle shops, just make sure that they sink.

Good luck, any good sized carp from a river is certainly a Trophy Fish and will Scrap like a Woman in a Clothes Sale lol /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Regards

Steph.

Cider Bob (GBs)

Reaction score
Liam you need to start a thread on the "newbie" forum to introduce yourself.

Welcome anyway young man!

Trisantona

Reaction score
Welcome to the site ,Liam,you can find out anything you wish to know on here,just ask the questions and give as much detail as you can without giving exact locations and someone will gladly help you out./forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

S

Steph McKenzie

Hello Liam,

You've come to the right place, there are a lot of people on this site who are more than welcome to help anglers, young and old, i know, they've helped me a lot all ready.

Welcome

Steph.

wayne brooks

Reaction score
anything is worth a go liam carp are pigs with fins mate. maize is always a winner buy the ready prepared stuff for now.

good luck mate

liam van velzen

Reaction score
i heard that if you soak any raisens for 12 hours in boiling hot water then put it on your hook mabye 1 or 2 of them you can catch carp up to 30lbs+.

so can you?