Korda/Kiana Goo Statement.

cg74

Reaction score
What with all the uproar and concerns regards the safety of Kiana Goo (marketed by Korda), both the manufacturer and marketing companies finally decided to respond:

Kiana Carp Goo:
"Goo only contains readily-available, approved and tested ingredients. All manner of tests have been performed to ensure its safety in the aquatic environment from the lowest forms of micro organism to large cyprinid fish. The ingredients are organic, natural, highly water-soluble and no bio-concentration occurs in organism, which means that no harm to the aquatic environment would occur, even in the long term."

Korda boss Danny Fairbrass added:
"People with little knowledge of baits, ingredients or chemicals have suddenly become overnight 'experts' after some basic internet searches. It's frustrating to watch and read as they couldn't be further from the truth.
This stuff has been extensively tested and there should be no concerns! It's a similar mindset of people who are spreading these rumours that once banned boilies!
We've got anglers at Shuttleworth and Sparsholt Colleges all using this stuff! Surely they wouldn't use it if they thought it was of any risk?
Secondly, don't you think Korda would have done all its research first?"

(Statements quoted were taken from Angling Times 1/5/2012)

I'm left wondering what all these "tests" actually were and who performed them?

Oh and cyanide is very soluble and it's an organic compound, I guess that makes it safe, yeah??

A further point of note; if the baits do contain fluorescein then read and weep: http://www.fws.gov/hagerman/documents/HET/Taylor_Hanson2010Hagfluorescein.pdf
And if they don't, best Korda sue the ass off Jay Folly, owner of Talltree's Carp Fishery Bedfordshire, as he had the bait tested and found fluorescein present.

What do you guys make of the statements?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
What do you guys make of the statements?

The final comment from Kiana leaves me wondering why they felt it necessary to include it . . . . . . ?

As for DF, well, he is a businessman and has signed up for this bait, so you'd hardly expect him to be negative, would you?

DF: "Secondly, don't you think Korda would have done all its research first"

Erm, no to be totally honest, I for one wouldn't.

Korda is a business, and they have seen a 'revolutionary' new bait, and probably couldn't wait to put it on the tackle shop's shelves!

I won't buy this product as I'm unconvinced as to its' constituent contents and have written to my clubs and syndicates outlining my concerns and asking them to consider its' use on our venues.

End of as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:

benny samways

Reaction score
Korda really are defensive aren't they.

Instead of saying they appreciate anglers concerns they criticise said anglers for having the cheek to question korda.

When I sent Korda an email with a link to the safty data sheet (provided by someone on FM) I got a very defensive email back basically telling me not to listen to the 'Korda-Knockers' (their words).

Im not sure it actually contains fluroscein, it would help if that was 100% cleared up.

Also has anyone seen/tried Vision Baits ecto plasm (or similar name) it looks just like Goo and has been out for donkeys!

edit to add:

just seen cg74s post in another thread about the Vision Baits stuff, im sure theres a reference to fluroscein in the Compleat Angler aswell...

Last edited:

guest61

Reaction score
What might be more alarming is using TCP.......

I have no idea how it behaves in fish, but this may be of interest....

What exactly does the antiseptic TCP contain?

The point being...... no one knows what is in it!

http://www.johnrashton.securemachin... in mersey and clwyd - a cause of concern.pdf

In 1984 the River Dee in Chester was contaminated with Phenol - I remember the 'backnote' of TCP in all tap water for days after this incident well.

TCP as a bait additive is not for me.

chav professor

Reaction score
It's very odd that TCP is not for human consumption yet it is used for gargling to help relieve a sore throat?????

What about Detol?

I added the comment about TCP in response to the Goo thread where with a bit of kitchen chemistry you can concoct an additive used in S.A. with similar properties at a fraction of the cost.......

Fish are not gargling with it, it is being ingested and introduced (though in small quantities) directly into the environment......

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
This is just one of the Pharmaceutical information leaflets issued:
".How to use TCP Liquid Antiseptic Original:

Symptomatic relief of sore throat symtons - Gargle twice a day with TCP diluted with 5 parts water. DO NOT SWALLOW.

Mouth ulcers - To ease the discomfort of mouth ulcers dab undilted three times a day. Should symptons persist fo rmore than 14 days, consult your doctor or dentist.

Cuts, grazes, bites and stings - Dilute with an equal quantity of water and apply freely. In emergencies, may be used undiluted.

Boils, spots, pimples - Dab lightly, undiluted, every four hours and do not cover.
Hazards and Cautions

Do not use if you have an allergic skin condition or are sensitive to the active ingredients.

If you swallow large amounts, drink plenty of water. If still unwell, see your doctor.

In normal use you should not suffer unwanted side effects. However, if you notice anything unusual, talk to your doctor or pharmacist.

Seed medical advice if symptons persist for more than a few days.

KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Always read the product information leaflet before using this product".

As you say Corkers, strange, you can put it in your mouth, but don't swallow.

OOOooeeerrr Missus !!!

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
T'is okay then.............

I put that because I thought Corkers was somehow having a dig, which was the reason for the question marks...........:eek:mg::eek:mg:

Re Ron, as I stated elsewhere, it is very difficult to leave what I personally think is the best laid out site on the web.

But especially difficult I imagine, when one has contributed as much to the site as Ron has over the years.

Further, Ron asked me a couple of weeks ago, to Email him personally rather than through the site PM service, so it may be that he is clearing the way to a total exit from the site, which I will again say is very unfortunate, whether one likes Ron or not.

cg74

Reaction score
I put that because I thought Corkers was somehow having a dig, which was the reason for the question marks...........:eek:mg::eek:mg:

Re Ron, as I stated elsewhere, it is very difficult to leave what I personally think is the best laid out site on the web.

But especially difficult I imagine, when one has contributed as much to the site as Ron has over the years.

Further, Ron asked me a couple of weeks ago, to Email him personally rather than through the site PM service, so it may be that he is clearing the way to a total exit from the site, which I will again say is very unfortunate, whether one likes Ron or not.

What will push the limits of irony, is what with all this spare time on his hands, I foresee Ron penning many carp related articles.......

... Which like I say would be ironic to an extreme seeing as all I ever saw on here was constant derision from Ron, I often wondered whether his disdain of the carp fishing scene stemmed from him (and his mates) helping mould it into what it is and still being a Billy-no-name.

I guess, I'll never know.:eek::D

barbelboi

Reaction score
What will push the limits of irony, is what with all this spare time on his hands, I foresee Ron penning many carp related articles.......

... Which like I say would be ironic to an extreme seeing as all I ever saw on here was constant derision from Ron, I often wondered whether his disdain of the carp fishing scene stemmed from him (and his mates) helping mould it into what it is and still being a Billy-no-name.

I guess, I'll never know.:eek::D

He may be a Billy-no-name to you Colin but he is pretty well know to many.

Probably the most informative article at the time in respect of Ron, should you not know - taken from Kevin Clifford’s ‘The History of Carp Fishing’ 1992 and covering two pages –

“Yet what of recent developments such as the ‘bare hook’, the ‘fixed lead’, and the ‘bent hook’: surely they belong to the inventiveness of the modern generation of carp anglers? Wrong, they were all described nearly 20 years ago by Ron Clay, an Englishman who emigrated to South Africa. The following is what he wrote in the May 17th 1974 edition of The Angling Telegraph.......................................”

Jerry

cg74

Reaction score
Jerry, I've no wish to argue the point but he certainly ain't known by that many - Middleton, Maddocks, Walker, Hearn, even Cundiff, Maylin or Hutchinson; now most carp anglers know those names - Clay..... errm.... No they don't!

It just dawned on me, to emphasise my point further, none of the 'names' I mentioned above need their christian names adding, why?
Because they've gained a level of notoriety that many/most serious carp anglers know - last name Hutchinson, first name Rod......... And I purposely avoided new names or those that are well viewed through tv/video.

Last edited:

dangermouse

Reaction score
I don`t know about carp anglers but he seems to be fairly well known amongst regular anglers. A bloke was kind enough to give me a lift home from a venue last week. As we were chatting I mentioned I`d shown a guy called Ron Clay around the canal a few weeks before.

"Ron Clay who writes in the magazines?" says he . . .