Surface Fishing

• Thread starter Peter Jacobs (ACA, SAA, CA)
  • Start date
P

Peter Jacobs (ACA, SAA, CA)

There have been a few threads in the past, (some of them quite old by now) regarding Surface fishing for Carp, so I wondered if an 'update' on tackle and techniques could be useful.

Next season I intend to spend more time fishing for Carp than I've been able to do in the last 7 or 8 years, and there is nothing more exciting, to me at any rate, than surface fishing for feeding Carp.

So, what would be the concensus of opinion on:

Best suitable Rods, Reels, Line, hooklengths, Hooks and baits?

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Peter, this is a good read with some good advice/tips.........

Surface fishing

Blimey, been a good few years since i surfaced fished propa for Carp. When the Gardener 'Suspender' first come out i absolutely nailed my local lake lake on it, fish after fish after fish, don't know if they still manufacture them now, great for fishing in amongst the lily pads too. Without doubt its trembling stuff watching those lips nudging the bait around. Might well have a dabble myself now. Now where's that Drennan double strength and me suspender!

P

Peter Jacobs (ACA, SAA, CA)

Wol,

Thanks, that link has some really interesting ideas.

I used to use a safe-lead-link to attach my controller both for safey's sake as well as ease of changing to a heavier controller if a longer cast was needed.

I see that Fox now do a controller with a simiilar device, but in clear plastic rather than the usual brown colour.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Do I take it that Surface Fishing for Carp is not that 'interesting' to others?

Does anyone have experience of the fox Controller Rod?

I'm thinking of getting one and would appreciate any input.

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Hi Peter, by no means an expert and never caught anything big on the surface.

Buta fair proportion of my summer fishing is done on the top,I use a 11ft 1.75lb rod, 4000 size reel, 10lb mainline.

Where possible I fish this straight through to the hook with a lump of crust. My favourite way to get them is to fish tight to marginal snags such as reeds and lilys, then to try and get them feeding right by your feet. Trying to keep your silouette off the water then dangling the hook over thefish with only an inch or 2 line on the surface is nerving enough, then trying to hold onto the fish...

Ahh good fun.

Only problem I have when using the controller is the bait always gets pulled back to it, or vis versa, although when fishing biscuits or at distance will use one. This year I'm hoping to try out kryston drift wood putty.

matt

Reaction score
Christian try greasing your hooklink (vaseline) this will stop the line sinking and helps to keep the floater and controler apart.

Using a floating braid as reel line also helps you to keep in contact with your controler. when the wind/drift puts a bow in your reel line the braid means you can straighten the reel line far more effectively without movung your controler to far out of position.

Dont be afraid to pile the floaters in, when the fish decide to feed they will soon clean them up and gain confidence with each one taken.

If you have problems with bird life, in most cases they can be 'fed off' if you put enough floaters in.

Happy hunting

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Peter....carp are very much part of my plans for the coming season too.........river carp in my case, great minds eh?

I found a back water last term with a huge common in it(35+).....i badly wanted to surface fish for her but just around the corner were a few other anglers and the back water was overgrown etc and if i had hooked her the commotion would have alerted others to her home.........decided to wait untill we can be alone, hope she don't run out on me lol