talking tamar

moody

Reaction score
hello bivvy rats!does anyone want to chat about the sheer difficulty of catching 20lb plus carp from tamar in the colder months? and does anyone have any true figures on stocks and big fish captures please help!

moody

Reaction score
You tit, that answer was lazier than my missus ha ha ha !!!

C

Cakey

but at least I answered you unlike the rest ................and your wife !

steveo

Reaction score
Moody dont worry mate,you aint alone in finding Upper Tamar a bit tricky.Lower Tamar I aint a got a clue so Im looking for info on that one.Here's what I do know and think about upper Tamar.

Ive only fished it since last year and my first Carp was an upper double,not massive but a new fish from new water etc and I thought that will do nicely for a start.I'll catch a few of these whilst I work out where the bigger one's are.

Little did I know that that was gonna big my biggest so far.Since then they got smaller and smaller and smaller.

Now as far as fish stocks,well its stuffed with Roach and Ive had a few bream.Carp stocks are a grey area.No one I have spoken to actually seems to know how many fish are present.There definately are a few upper 20's,a fair amount of tiny stunted commons.A couple of Carp appear well fed(probably the strain)but the majority of the Carp I have seen are thin and look in need of a good meal.

I have also heard a story of a Giant Common(every lake seems to have one)..I would ask where has it come from,whats it gonna eat etc,how come no ones seen it??

I have fished lots of big waters some well stocked some with a handfull of Carp and yet its still possible to find fish once you know where to look.Yet on Tamar I've only seen a handfull of Carp roll.So I would be inclined to say that there aint alot of Carp.If they were there more would be caught and seen.My opinion only tho.

The 2 areas I fancied a fish from are the only area's that I have managed to catch from and even that was unpredictable.I have fished many other swims just to try to get a better picture of the lake,all with no success.The Carp seem to be very mobile,I have found nothing to note in the way of features weed beds or holding areas,the water apart from insect life seems fairly rocky,deep cold and barren.Tamar is still a young water so it might get better but I feel the overall location and topography of it will heed the requirements for large Carp growth.Anglers I have spoke to say that picking a swim a hopeing they turn up is what most do.Which is Camping not Angling and the main reason why I have stopped fishing it at the moment,untill the weather warms up when a fish may be on the cards.

Im sure a water like this would respond to sustained pre baiting but is it worth it for the size of the fish you are gonna catch.

Hope this is of any help

steveo

Reaction score
Come on out there....

What d you lot know.hhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I'll find out in the end..;0

Foxy

Reaction score
steveo, have a word with some of the lads on Argal, they might have some info.....

slime monster

Reaction score
first time i ever fished upper 4 of us had a knock up i set my stall for bream, having been reassured that i would not catch carp i opted for 010 hooklength .my first rap resultedin the shape of a 12b common .....never seen or caught a carp there since. if it helps it was on the white post peg .........but dont hold your breath.

BarryC

Reaction score
Never fished Upper Tamar but in another life I am one of those pesky model yacht sailors.

Steveo said that there appears to be little in the way of weedbeds etc and that it is a bit barren. One thing I did notice a couple of years ago in a drought year was that the foreshore was littered with swan mussel shells. In tha shallows there were plenty of live specemeins. Although I beleive they are a protected species could be that the use of marine mussels could be a good bait. The area I saw the mussel signs was near the dam on the car park side.