seafood cocktail

Ben Haigh

Reaction score
hi guys,

just wanted to run a couple of things by you lot.

i'm fishing tomorrow, and intend on using seafood on my carp line, hoping for carp and tench. now i know seafood works, as i've used mussels several times, and seen nice carp landed on prawns and squid in the past. i've seen tench fall to prawn, so hopefully i can repeat that.

Tesco seafood cocktail has 2 types of prawn, squid rings and mussels in it, so i have options for the hook, but the question is.....

1. should i blend some up to feed over the top, as i will be putting a bait tight to the margin and feeding the slop will be easy. i'm guessing it will just put out a nice attractive aroma around the hookbait without really feeding the fish??

2. Hair rig or direct hooking? i used to direct hook mussels, but i wonder if this is the best presentation, and i've never used prawn or squid as a hookbait, so, what should i go for?

3. normally for my margin fishing i would use a long hooklength and a tight line to running lead, but i read recently in another thread about stringing out swan shot and using a slack line? i think i got the right end of the stick on that one anyway, should i give it a go??

Cheers in advance for any answers/suggestions, hopefully they will help me catch on what will be a new venue to me.

Ben

E

EC

The best advice I reckon is simply to make a commitment to continue to use seafoodbaits for your next half dozen sessions Ben, experiment as you go along and see how it goes.

Foxy

Reaction score
i would go for a single prawn dipped in some spicy shrimp and prawn dip, the reast i would just mix up whole in my spod mix and whack it over the top /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Jay Folly

Reaction score
how about adding some "seafood sauce" to the prawns for a feeder.

seafood sauce is very simular to tomato ketchup in ingredients, acidic and sugary.

with carp sences on acidicy and sweetness, it should be a "leathal prawn cocktail" !!/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

(dont think the lettuce would work though!)

N

Nobby C (ACA)

Jay, I have read on koi sites about the fish being given lettuce as a treat, and bits of orange!

Ben, out of your selection I'd put my money on squid, fish (salt and sweet water) love it, though saying that mussel aint too shabby either.