breakaway leads?

ANDY SKI

Reaction score
I have heard somebody talking about breakaway leads for carp fishing
How does it work

T

trev matthews (100M bronze)

Andy a breakaway lead is normally used in sea fishing and it has wires for gripping in the sea bed in order for the bait to move in the ebb and flo. Once the bait is taken the rod tip sweeps round and the angler strikes. The wires breakout of the plastic seating and the lead is able to be reeled in without the wires sticking in. I cant for the life of me think how one could be used for Carping, unless of course maybe smaller versions on rivers.

Wooly

Reaction score
It's likely they are talking about lead set ups which release the lead when you are playing a fish, or, in the event of it getting snagged in heavy weed etc. It 's possible to set up inline and swivel type leads to achieve this effect.

Personally I have never found the need to dump the lead when playing a fish, I use inlines for nearly all my fishing, including in heavy weed. Perhaps I'm just a bit cynical on this one as most of the setups were devised by companies who sell leads... at anything up to a couple of quid each.

R

Roto Fryer

clips are cut so the lead drops off on a take. the result is that the fish generally comes to the surface quicker.

dont like the idea of dumping lead into a water. there was a big debate about this a few years ago.

DZ

Reaction score
...........and as for using thos spikey, fish blinding, sea leads. Dont do it.

Kiwi Carper

Reaction score
Dougal why do you say "dont do it...."

I have been toying with the idea for tackling my local large river, we know big fish are moving up the cntre current but havent found a way to hold bait in position...I was thinking of modifying some 2oz leads with "micro" grips same as a salt breakaway but smaller.... Is there a reason for your comment?

DZ

Reaction score
Mr Kiwi

I was refering more to UK style fishing-
breakaway.jpg

There was athread out there somewhere in cyberspace about the use of break-away- leads for barbel in rivers. The thing is with these types of sea leads is that the wire arms dont always go flat and can puncture/blind a fish during the fight. We get a bit precious about our barbel and carphere in lil old England but I could'nt possibly comment on your fishing in NZ.

Kiwi Carper

Reaction score
Dougal having spent many an hour on most of the UKs best rivers and lakes...I understand totally where you are coming from, I am English....

But I see where your coming from, but we find a long hook length of up to 4ft works best on the rivers, so would need to be a pretty long fish....also I have never seen a damaged fish whilst surfcasting with these leads either fishing lead up or down rigs...the chances would be pretty slim.....also if really concerned you could fit rubber "corks" to the wires...or bend them over so not sharp they will still give desired grip....

C

cojo

Abreakaway makes a very good casting rake if you put a cable tie around the wire prongs to stop them releasing much cheeper than those stainless ones on the marketgive it a try for clearing a few spots......

Emmo (Angling Trust)

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>cojo wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Abreakaway makes a very good casting rake if you put a cable tie around the wire prongs to stop them releasing much cheeper than those stainless ones on the marketgive it a try for clearing a few spots......</blockquote>
Why not just get a "fixed wire" one and save the trouble of cable tying the wires?

Kiwi Carper

Reaction score
Maxon Im guessing that is a typo and you mean heavier??? The river is enourmous and would need god knows how much weight to hold bottom....