Short links and leads

BarryC

Reaction score
I don't fish specificaly fish for Carp but as I do catcha few(most waters now have them in) I was thinking that maybe I should get an unhooking mat. I have usually managed to find a spot of grass to do the deed on so just thought it was something else to carry. I then read of the dangers of dry or stiff grass stems damaging the Carp's eyes as they have no eyelids to close so I bought one.

Then I started thinking about carp setups with short hooklengths that would place the lead, feeder or what have you in close contact with the fishes eyes during the fight.

Has anyone else had this thought or noticed any damage to the fish. Must say I have not seen any fish or pics of fish with any damage like this but know of one venue that requires a minimum of 12 inch hook lengths is this the reason. What do you think!

stephen webb

Reaction score
Barry,

I have never noticed this sort of damage to fish. But you are probably right about fisheries that require a minimum 12 inch hook length, and is does seem that more and more fisheries are bringing this rule in.

Foxy

Reaction score
lol barry are you an optician? your post seems to relate only to eye damag!! problem with short braided hooklinks is that it can act like a cheese wire in the carps mouth and literally saw through there mouths, ive never heard of a minimum of 12" hooklinks, think of all those tangles /forum/smilies/sad_smiley.gif

in my opinion, noddy bashers or carpers should have a mat before they are allowed to fish for the above reasons and many more

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Unhooking mat-I went to Mothercare and bought a baby bath mat!It does have a few baby pics on it and it is cream in colour BUT if its good enough for babies then its good enough for Carp-AND they are comparatively cheap....works a treat and very well padded-Why pay more??

As always I do make sure its wet before laying fish on it!

Very light and has lasted for years BUt may be a bit small for 40lb'ers!!

I wish....................

Keith M

Reaction score
I sometimes useshort hooklengths using a string of BBs or AAsor 1/4 to 1/2oz leads when link ledgering for Barbel and have never noticed any damage to the eyes. However I suspect that larger leads could cause such problems.

F

Frothey

wouldn't worry about it.... mind you if 12" is the minimum i could use, i'd be on 2ft hooklengths......