The Basic Set-up for Carp/Tench

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Yes,the bait has to be right and in the correct place to catch fish BUT,

What is,and who offers,the very best arrangement to help put more fish on the bank??

I have looked at the Fox range and it seems very comprehensive and offers almost every gismo one could want-BUT is it the best or is it too complicated?

If you top regular Carp anglers were starting out now,from scratch,WHAT WOULD YOU BUY?- based on ease of setting up on the bank/simplicity in use/effective and totally reliable/give good service.

Likely as not a session on the bank will last some time and fishing(for some)will be from tight spots with sloping banks(for some)and the like,SO which Pod offers the best flexibility for levelling etc?

Personally I tend toward minimum weight but NOT flimsy in design and quick to assemble,for my type of fishing(a quick visit)but this is not necessarily important if you have lots of time and a wheelbarrow!

Cost to me,cannot be a real stumbling block as the best MAY mean spending a few bob BUT again the best is not always the most expensive.......

Ilook forward to some decent info that will help me make some sensible decisions based on good solid experience!

Oh,and whilst on the subject-decent rods with through action 11/2/2lb test curve powerful BUT not a Poker-any ideas??

Thanks

Steve Weaver

Reaction score
Hi

Regarding rods I can recommend the Greys Specimen with twin tips - (one with 1.5lb t/c and the other 2lb t/c) - nice action but power when you need it. Not cheap new but bargains can be had second hand - I got mine for £50.

Tight spots and sloping banks sounds like you might be better off with decent bank sticks and buzz bars rather than a pod.

Cheers

Steve

gary brown

Reaction score
I go along with Steve,

go for banksticks not a pod. You can always line them up side by side if you like it all pretty!/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gifWhat it does give is tremendous flexibility. If you buy the screw-ended extendable type you can recreate everything from a stalking pod to a euro type "sky pod" for a tiny fraction of the price. Good luck and tight lines, mate. As for rods, I've been using Fox Warrior 2.75lb tc on waters ranging from rivers to gigantic lakes over here in Romania and they have been superb. Not expensive, but beautifully made.

Gary

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Steve & Gary............thanks for your input on the rods......yep,banksticks probably a good idea-one tends to forget them and the problems of getting the old type into the ground!

Perhaps I will purchase some with screw ends and save some money..