bait boats

stephen edge

Reaction score
I was fishing a 60 acre lake a few years back and i held off from buying a baitboat for as long as i could.I donned my chest waiders,waided out 50 yards in 4ft of water(a bit dodgy),cast a lead to where the fish were then waided back,bearing in mind i was fishing 3 or 4 rods i finally buckled and bought a seccond hand microcat with sounder,ironically one of the reasons i eventually pulled off the lake was that it only took 6 people with bait boats and a pretty big lake was full.I'm still not sure about the ethics and i'd still rather cast out and feel my lead down.One of the waters i'm on now is nearly 200 acres and you can use a full sized boat,but it's still easier to use the bait boat and i can'nt cast 150 to 200 yards (should i be fishing that far out ?),but with the sounder i managed to map out a bay at one end (about 2 or 3 acres) in 10 or 15 mins.A marker float would have taken a hell of a lot longer and probably empty'd the bay of fish.So i think its horses for courses and the debate will never end.So if you think you need a bait boat,they're allowed on your water and your not p***ing anyone off by not useing it sensibly go for it and don'nt worry about what others think.

Foxy

Reaction score
feel better after that rant mate? /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

stephen edge

Reaction score
yes, much better.ha ha. Not a rant,just a bit of food for thought realy.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
The sounder makes mapping a swim very efficent. If used sensiably then there is no problem with them.