spod mix?

neilcod

Reaction score
hello could anybody out there tell me the best ingredients for a top spodmix plus the best bollies 2 use and what size any info wellcome cheers

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Hello Neil

Where abouts are you fishing mate. Does the venue have a big head of carp ?. Are you doing a short day session or a longer session ?. All of these factors will govern what the spod mix should consist off. Are you looking for high food content or high attract. Fishing on the bottom of the lake o ambusuhing the carp mid water ?. Sorry for all the questions but there is no one answer. Regarding boilie size I like to use somthing diffferent to everyone else so I will use chopped, shaved or halved baits , also I have been having a great deal of success with smalll 8mm and 6mm baits. being similar but different will give you the edge.

Tight Lines

Ian G

neilcod

Reaction score
yes the place has a lot ov carp but it is heavily fished so theres a lot ov bait going in im lookin for high attract fishing on the bottom over a day and a night with there being a lot ov bait going in im lookin for some thing good if u no what i mean

F

Frothey

fishmeal based groundbait with tuna oil added, small pellets, bit of liquidised corn, some breadcrumb- add scent and "cloud" without adding much food. dont forget to fish one on a zig as well......

wouldn't put much of any boilie in it, if you do chop/crush them and fish a quarter on the hook.

F

Frothey

i've said it before, but my method mix is just a bucket that any left over pellet dust, base mix, breadcrumbs, spices from the kitchen, crushed biscuits,the odd bag of proprietory groundbait, etc,etc goes into and gets a good mix every now and then. difficult to re-create a decent mix though /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

think more about the liquids that go into it.....

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Hi Neil

When I fish at a similar type venue i use the following

1) Bag of Bait Tech Special G

2) Bag of crushed Hemp

3) Tin of Tuna in Oil

4) A jar of Bait Tech hemp

5) A small tin of sweet corn

6) Some of the boilies you are using (10mm dynamite shrimp)

7) Bait Tech 3,4 & 6mm pellets

8) If there are no small silver fish you can always add maggots I preffer dead ones but what ever takes your fancy.

Mix this lot up in a large bucket dry ish just enough for your 5 spods per rod and no more, if you mix a whole bucket full the mix changes from a nice fluffy mix to a sticky cement and losses most of its attractive properties. So Mix as you go.

Use this in a little and often style say 5 accurate spods per fish. Remember you can always add but you cant take away. As frothey said watch the water if the fish are showing near the surface try Zig rigs under the spodded area.

Tight Lines

Ian G

F

Frothey

the only prop with using "whole" hemp is that the fish can get pre-occupied with the hemp on the bottom - that's why i prefer the crushed stuff (or blitz the cooked stuff thru a blender).Try blitzing maggots (and worms)as well, messy but works really well....

Julian Barber

Reaction score
Whats the point of cooking hemp it if your gonna blitz it through the blender??I dont bother...just let the pulp soak up the liquid of the other ingredients. Cant swell...cant germinate. i usually use big catering tins of corn in the mix, this has plenty of liquid to soak the mashed hemp. The oils from the hemp will get out quicker if its blitzed too.

Big thumbs up for special g ... super soluble fishmeal..yum yum

F

Frothey

Whats the point of cooking hemp it if your gonna blitz it through the blender??

because un-cooked hemp, like pretty muchall uncooked particles,is c**p! same as most ground hemp, they rarely contain much germ or oil compared with the "proper" stuff. thats not to say it doesnt have its uses though.....

Nothing to do with "safety", cooking it releases the oils

Julian Barber

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Frothey wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Whats the point of cooking hemp it if your gonna blitz it through the blender??

because un-cooked hemp, like pretty muchall uncooked particles,is c**p! same as most ground hemp, they rarely contain much germ or oil compared with the "proper" stuff. thats not to say it doesnt have its uses though.....

Nothing to do with "safety", cooking it releases the oils</blockquote>

I disagree, if you use the same hemp as you would boil to use whole but blitz it instead, then it contains as much oil as if you boil it /forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gifBoiling it is not gonna introduce any more oil, and smashing it to pieces will releaseoil quicker than a seed that still has its shell on, more surface area etc.

I am not a scientist, but I would guess that its the cellulose in the plant matter that is binding the oils. Boiling will break down the cellulose, but blending willbreak downthe cellulosetoo , mechanically.

I definately get a better slick off my own blitzed hemp than when I cook my own whole. Cant comment on shop bought ground hemp, as I've never used it.

F

Frothey

the hemp oil is still there,but it doesn't release as fully as cooked. taste it /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

if the cellulose is trapping the oil, it'll still actually be attached to a lot of the germ when done mechanically.... but i dont think thats the answer anyway. cellulose can withstand our stomach conditions fairly well!

I definately get a better slick off my own blitzed hemp than when I cook my own whole

but try cooking it, then blitzing it and see the difference. asI said though,the blitzing is just to give more spread with less seed. whatever works for you though!

C

Cakey

if Im on a lake or a river with no flow ....I cook my hemp

if Im on a river with flow I dont cook other wise my oil ends up 4 miles away