Which Fish Finder to install in a bait boat???

Jon Shayler

Reaction score
Hi to all,

Im in need of a little advice, i have recently decided to add a fish finderto myViper bait boat,I have spent too many hours now googling trying to find out how i would install a fish finder into the hull of the boat, I was thinking aboutbuying a Smartcast RF15, buttwo things are putting me off, firstly the range, which i understand you can increase by the way of two mods, and secondly am i right in thinking that thetransducerneeds to be inthe water?

If it needs to be in the water what other fish finders (cheap ones) can you guy recomend or is there a way around that???

Any ideas would be great at this point!

J

Bushy

Reaction score
Try learning a bit of watercraft, it's cheaper and more rewarding.

Julian Barber

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Bushy wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Try learning a bit of watercraft, it's cheaper and more rewarding.</blockquote>

What has dropping a tight bed of bait at 130 yrds onto a small gravel hump got to do with watercraft.

All these things have their place, so dont condemn others who feel happy to use them.

You all fish your way, others can fish theirs....but the wicker basket and margin waggler approach dont always cut the mustard on all venues.

Ban this, ban that. This ain't fair, that aint sporting... Worry about your own fishing and enjoyment before condemning and spoiling others.

Nobody is forcing you to use them...so why force us not to. If we catch more, dont be green eyed monsters, and if we dont, then you have nothing to worry about.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
A baitboat fitted with a fish finder will map a swim a lot faster and with less disturbunce than a marker float.

You have to remember they are just a tool.

J

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Whatever sonar device you use it's it will need a transducer in the water. The Smartcast does have a limited range and it only reads to the nearest foot. However, it has it's uses and like Bryan says its just a tool. If you have limited time, why not use it. At least you are going out and actually doing something, understanding the relevance of the readout takes watercraft.

R

Roto Fryer

you don't need watercraft, you don't neeed to cast etc. is it really fishing?

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
I used one on sat and in 3 hours i caught more fish than everybody else put together(4 plus 2 lost). No frightning spod and no 3oz leadhitting the water. All would have emptied the swim as its only foot deep and at 100 yards they would have created a hell of a lot of disturbance. for the last45 mins i fished without the boat. Could easily cast a bait to the spot. But guess what not a single blip on the alarms.

As i said its just a tool. I can still cast to where a fish but the boat just allows a better presentation. Don't have a fish finder fitted yet but i am looking at it for the future.

R

Roto Fryer

for me it is not fishing it's akin to catching as it takes all the skill away if it has a fishfinder/echosounder.

C

Cakey

but get in touch before you do anything as I can tell you how to fit one without stripping the boat down !

matt

Reaction score
The guy wasn't asking for a lecture on what he should or shouldn't be doing just a bit of friendly advice. What forums should be about. Thanks to cakey he got what he was after.