Scum

Julian Parkin 2

Reaction score
SCUMBAGS!!!!!!

Lets keep our eyes open,

****VERY IMPORTANT STATEMENT****

During the early hours of Sun 8th June an angler fishing the road bank of St. Johns had his fishing tackle stolen at knife point. Linear Fisheries are obviously taking this very seriously and feel it is a sad reflection of the country we now live in. If anyone has any information that could help the police with their enquiries please see the contact numbers on the Thames Valley Police appeal below.

Due to the very serious nature of this incident Linear will now be locking all pedestrian gates and restricting pedestrian access to Hardwick Lake at night. They will also be looking at any other means at their disposal to reduce the chances of this type of thing happening again. Gates will be open in the mornings at 9 am and locked at 7 pm. Anglers arriving early can park in the main Hardwick car park until the gates are unlocked. This does not mean that night fishing is no longer allowed but as before anglers arriving during the day and parking in other car parks will be locked in at night. Linear now ask that all anglers visiting the site who wish to leave after 7 in the evening to please pay more attention to the gate opening and closing times to ensure they do not get locked in!!

We sincerely hope that this incident will not deter people from fishing our waters otherwise we are allowing yobs to ruin the sport we all so dearly love.

Len Gurd,
Fishery Manager.

Julian Parkin 2

Reaction score
GENERAL
**THAMES VALLEY POLICE**

INFORMATION SOUGHT - INFORMATION SOUGHT - INFORMATION SOUGHT

Robbery at Richworth Linear Fisheries

Police are appealing for witnesses after an angler had his equipment stolen at knifepoint near Witney during the early hours of Sunday morning (08/06).

At around 3.30am at Richworth Linear Fisheries at Hardwick Quarry, which is renowned for its carp fishing, two youths were disturbed by a 40-year-old fisherman as they attempted to steal his fishing gear.

One of them produced a knife and threatened him with it while the other took all his equipment and the pair ran off to a waiting van or truck, which then drove off. It is believed there was a third person driving the vehicle.

The equipment stolen is valued at approximately £2,500. It included:

• 1 Nash rod pod with stainless steel legs
• 3 Delkim TXI bite alarms
• 3 Grey’s Prodigy 13ft carp rods, coloured very dark green.
• 3 Daiwa Basia reels, silver-coloured.

The two offenders are in their late teens, both around 6ft tall and spoke with a Gloucestershire or Oxfordshire accent.

Det Con Paddy O’Grady, from Witney CID, said: “I would like to warn anglers to take care. There have been other recent minor thefts of gear in the area, but this is the first robbery and this step up in seriousness concerns us.

“These two youths were hanging around for a while before this robbery – they were first heard around 1.30am – and were talking briefly to anglers about whether or not they had had any success. If you were there at the time and spoke to these youths, please get in touch.

“If you are out night fishing, please keep an eye out for anyone who seems as though they shouldn’t be there or for suspicious vehicles parked up nearby. If you are worried, call 999 immediately.

“Finally, can I ask for anyone who has been offered this equipment or seen it on sale, perhaps on the internet or at a car boot sale, to get in touch. If you see expensive fishing equipment on sale for price well below the market value then it could well be stolen.”

DC O’Grady can be contacted via the Police Enquiry Centre on
0845 8 505 505.

If you don’t want to talk to police and don’t want to leave your name, call the Crimestoppers charity anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Sharon Sannerude

Reaction score
And still the government does bugger all....for pete's sake...bang em up with hard labour and a daily whipping.

Sharon Sannerude

Reaction score
there is a reason for govt. inaction on crime...but only the BNP website has the balls to explain it.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Just a thought...

How about charging day ticket anglers £2 for a key to the padlock to avoid being locked in? If they want one?

Day Breamer

Reaction score
Well its ok saying that the people who did this deserve a whipping or whatever but youre forgetting one small detail... they have to catch 'em first.

I assume the angler in question was fishing alone and possibly even asleep, that in itself just spells danger to me and theres no way id fish anywhere on this planet with that amount of quality gear alone at night and furthermore asleep (i am assuming he was alone and asleep ofcourse).

Im not saying he deserves it or was asking for it, ofcourse not, im just saying that in this day and age you have to be extremely careful, and at bare minimum fish with someone you know, also insurance is essential for that amount of quality gear.

I really hope they catch the buggers responsiblebut lets be real, its not gonna happen, and they will most likely try this again somewhere else... if you must fish alone do so in daylight hours, theres no heros in situations like this, just stabbed people (who still lose thier gear).

C

Cliff Hatton 2

Paul: that's very defeatist. For heaven's sake don't let these low-lives dictate what you're going to do with your life. As for the BNP, I've read their aims and objectives and it all looks like good sense to me! Let's face it, after a lifetime of Lab/Con we've currently got the most hienous crimes going unpunished, prisons like holiday camps, abysmal school standards, little or no respect for any kind of authority, millions and millions of people overcrowding the country....why keep whipping yourself?

Nathan

Reaction score
I dont want to get drawn in the politics but from a fishing perspective what can you do to protect yourself from this happening? I like going night fishing & i don't always want to have to take someone to hold my hand 'just in case'.

Geoff Brown

Reaction score
My father fought for our freedoms in WWII, as did his father in WWI. How about we stand up for what is right, and if we die doing so, so be it, at least then 200 Police Officers will be assigned to the case, and there is 99% probability the pikeys will get caught and sentenced. We can't just expect someone else (the Police, Courts, Government) to fight our fights, sometimes society has to take responsiblity itself. My father and his father were happy to lay down their life for their children, I am happy to lay down mine for my children.

I should just point out here that I'm the biggest coward going, fight like a girl and couldn't punch my way out of a wet paper bag, but still, no-one is taking my (very) hard-earned property away from me without a very great struggle.

John Heelis

Reaction score
my sentiments exactly Geoff.

that's why i make sure that i have a big sturdy stick with me day or night......

sometimes take it home cos the misses scares me.

Paul C

Reaction score
Lets hope it doesn't catch on.

However, in the scheme of things, it's probably not the most difficult way of getting access to some valueable gear, that these days with the likes of Ebay, is easy to convert into cash.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I am all for kicking the shite out of them there and then, but you know what, it would be me who gets banged up. Thats the EU for you.

Action will never be taken by goverment, as this and other crimes dont happen to them, when and if it does we the tax payers end up paying.

MP's are protected, dont live in the real world, get paid to much, and above all dont give a toss about joe public until they wont you vote, then its f**k you again, i'm alright Jack.

BNP might change a few thing's, but then again pigs might fly before they get into power.

C

Cliff Hatton 2

For the benefit of would-be first time night fishermen: I've been night-fishing since 1965 and have never had a spot of bother. Get out and enjoy it - but stay awake! You might as well not be there if you sleep!

Reaction score
Ray , I agree with you , This goverment or any other don`t give a shit about the man in the street , if you get killed they may use it as part of thier stactisticts but croc tears , thats all .

Cliff , have been night fishing since 1968 , much the same mate , it could happen but don`t worry about it , you allso couldget hit by a bus ( not while fishing I hope ) , so don`t let the bastards grind you down . ( old chinese Saying )/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

dean?o

Reaction score
we was on manor farm (roadside)at linears that week. cant say we heard any commotion. rest assured if it happened to us you would have heard it kicking off. we wanted to get onto st. johns at the start of the week but it was well busy so cant understand why person being robbed didnt make lots of loud noise cause am certain fellow anglers would all help in that situation. hope they find who done it. i have to say though, Linears is a fantastic complex and this 1 incident shouldn`t put people off fishing there. i am sure they will put actions in place to safe guard the anglers. we had to move off hardwick and smiths pool 2 days into the session due to a problem with the lake. the baliffs were very sincere and even gave 3 of us 5 days free fishing for the inconvienence of moving onto manor farm. so as i said, a very well run complex and 1 that i will visit time and time again.

AngleDangler

Reaction score
Thing is that it doesn't matter how big or tough you are, arguing with people (morons) with knives isn't a good idea. Best bet is to stay alive, then hopefully catch them without the knives and give them what they deserve. Luckily there are more good peole out there than bad un's.

MJ

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Nathan wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>I dont want to get drawn in the politics but from a fishing perspective what can you do to protect yourself from this happening? </blockquote>

I wouldnt wish an incident like this on anyone, so dont get me wrong.. but looking at the gear that was nicked, the guy had £2500 of fashion accessories sat outside his bivvy.

Carp fishing gear like that is so sought after, I am not surprised it was targetted by thieves. You dont hear of many thefts of gear like some of the crap I use!

From the article it sounded like they tried to walk off with it while he was asleep, but he woke up and they panicked (although please correct me if I am wrong). Let's hope this doesnt lead to anglers feeling the need to carry a 'piece' to protect their 'bling'. /forum/smilies/surprised_smiley.gif