'Bivvy Boys'

callaghan1993

Reaction score
I decided today that after work with the weather being nice I'd try for the carp in my local pond. Turning up around 2pm with my modest carp rod, bag of bits, chair and a tin of luncheon meat I had a quick look round the lake to see all the 'bivvy boys' sat with their radios on, and 15 rods each cast to every corner of the pond. Setting up my rod in a quiet bay I flicked out to a promising looking spot near the margins, and settled down to watch the day pass. About half and hour in my rod set off, and after a nice fight I landed a 14lb common. After a quick photo I slipped it back in, and was greeted with a shout of 'how big was that one?' From one of the bivvy dwellers who had set up base camp on the far side of the lake. After my first thought of 'shut up shouting you idiot' I replied 'only about a pound mate' 'I didn't hear your alarm go off!' Was the reply, 'nah, I don't use one mate' and he returned to his dwelling. I rebaited and cast to the same spot and had 2 more small carp in the next 2 hours. By half 5 I was packing up when the bailiff came and asked 'as tha ad owt?!' I replied 'yeah, 3 pal' and left him in disbelief that an 'amateur carper' had 3 on luncheon meat when nobody had caught 3 all winter with their far better tackle and bait. The most satisfying walk back to the car I've ever had watching the pro's pack up their dry nets :)

jimlad

Reaction score
Enjoyed that story ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gid

Reaction score
dont you just love spanking the "all the gear no idea " brigade.
Happens near me all the time.The "instant" generation" clipping on a rig , chucking it as far as possible and sitting back to wait fir the buzzzz.
Its far simpler to drop in where the ducks are fed with a simple lift rig and bread flake.
Always leave a bait box open with some sliced banana or other strange thing you choose ,and see how long it takes for the muppets to start to use it.

callaghan1993

Reaction score
Can't beat giving them a good spanking! My favourite part is always watching them load everything and the kitchen sink back onto the articulated lorry sized barrows and slogging to carry it all back to the van, faces like thunder because the stupid fish don't want to get caught! :L

Frothey

Reaction score
I went to a match lake today, loads of idiots float fishing. I spodded in 15kg of pellet and boilie and hauled all day. Funny thing was inbetween fish I was tucked up in my bivvy and they were all out shivering in the cold. Numpties!

Frothey

Reaction score
It's too easy, wasn't even a subtle trap.

Better put another couple of kilo on top

As Lance Corporal Jones says, they don't like it up 'em.... Noddies!

Chevin

Reaction score
dont you just love spanking the "all the gear no idea " brigade.
Happens near me all the time.The "instant" generation" clipping on a rig , chucking it as far as possible and sitting back to wait fir the buzzzz.
Its far simpler to drop in where the ducks are fed with a simple lift rig and bread flake.
Always leave a bait box open with some sliced banana or other strange thing you choose ,and see how long it takes for the muppets to start to use it.

The advice about the duck feeding is excellent advice and a technique I have used for some 50 years. I still use it today on one of the rare carp waters we have nearby. I remember one guy seeng my bag of carp and also my loaf of bread. He was astonished by my carp and couldn't believe that I had caught them on bread. He said that he had never heard of anyone using bread as bait there. He hadn't twigged that people bait up the swim with bread every day!

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
I don't even own a bivvy, a 'carp rod' or bite alarm. Nearest I have to an alarm is a rusty old bell attached to a washing line peg from my sea fishing days. The few carp Ive had from my clubs waters have been taken on a 1lb-6oz Harrison rod using a floating bait. If it could manage a 14lb sea trout it will handle anything that swims in my club stillwaters.
I did get some strange looks from the 'bivvy boys' though :rolleyes:

My total time spent 'carping' has never lasted more than 3-4 hours.

I'll always remember what Peter Stone told us all at a CSG weekend 'do' when asked by an angling reporter how long did it take him to catch his first double figure bream. "about 20 minutes, then I went home"
I could be wrong about the time in minutes:)

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Know what you mean, I just can't get my head round the bivvy, 3 rods, Optonics thing myself.

Frothey

Reaction score
Ah Peter, still a man after my own heart.....

Anyway, bivvy's are for girls. Brolly is all you need - I can carry an extra 10kg of bait then.

cg74

Reaction score
Ah Peter, still a man after my own heart.....

Anyway, bivvy's are for girls. Brolly is all you need - I can carry an extra 10kg of bait then.

Your extra bait, how do you dispense it; catty, throwing stick, spod/spomb or bait boat?