In there any Carp Recruitment on rivers?

Blunderer

Reaction score
I was thinking about this this morning. Clearly the number of carp in our rivers is increasing, due to flooding and illegal stocking. But do they spawn successfuly on rivers? And is there any recruitment? I don't remember catching small carp on a river before. I suspect it would have to be a very slow river for there to be any chance.

Reaction score
Not so sure...years back used to see quite a few carp on the slower stretches of the Medway between Teston and Wateringbury, used to lurk in the far back reed bed on the big bend above Teston lock.

However there was a resident shoal of carp - some very big, others smaller - in the tidal stretch below Allington Locks - and when the tide was running out it fair belted through.

Good point about pastie sized carp coming out of rivers

R

Roto Fryer

there are fish in my ex local river that spawn every year in a 200M arm, however, the ever increasing number of pike suggest that most of them will become lunch. there are a nice number of carp that never seem to get past 6 or 7 lb but we are in a certain fish thiefs territory!

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Back in the mid seventies very hot summers of 75 and 76, there was very successful carp spawning in both the Nene and Trent