Mouth Damage

Tinca Tinca

Reaction score
I responded to a thread about the condition of the carp at Willinghurst.

I recounted my experience of once fishing the ex CEMEX Thorpe Lea in 2006 where the parrot mouthed carp reside. Everyone blamed the match angler as these were fish imported from Drayton bagging pool. had i known i would never have fished it and never returned

However, Carpers cannot just blame the match fraternity as this problem is widespread now.

It is not an issue debated much in the carp press at all, it just seems to be ignored - yet carp do not self inflict this damage the carp angler does.

|'d be interested to get a response from the keen carpers here as I am a part timer who does not use state of the art rigs with shank extensions, bent hook replicas etc and 3-3.5lb rods.

I doubt that a size 10 hook and 1.75Tc rod can do much damage and I never saw this damage during my carp career in 1970/through 1977. This was typical carping gear at that time. It can still catch big carp now albeit you will have to revise distances to more modest ranges.

F

Frothey

fish didn't het caught as often in the 70's/80's as there weren't as many people fishing for them, and the other big factor was that generallywaters had little in the way of weed in them. the "mug" fish around then did still get damage. its being hooked repeatedly that can cause the damage, rather than necessarily the tackle.

if it was down to the rods, big fish in some of the circuit waters would be ripped to bits, but generally they aren't - also remember the action of the rods has changed hugely to back then because of the materials.

do agree though, it is funny to see people fishing 1 acre waters with big pits, 3lbtc rods - but then people cant necessarily afford 3 sets of rods if they fish a couple of different waters. used properly they still shouldn't be a problem though....

R

Roto Fryer

we got a bucket of spawn from one of my local lakes and hatched it out. about 15% of the little ones were parrot mouthed and they had never seen a hook

steveo

Reaction score
Roto Interesting about the parrot mouthed babies,genetic defect or maybee something to do with removal and transportation of the spawn,fluctuations in temp and water changes!!??

Frothy agree on the fact that Carp can get caught regularily which prevents propper healing and compounds the damage.The carp in Horseshoe are cracking fish but a few years back when I was fishing there alot of the fish had badly scarred and hookdamaged mouths.That was using barbless hooks aswell.I think alot of the damage is done by the hit and hold fishing in and amongst the heavy weed.

R

Roto Fryer

Dave don't you mean any hook in the wrong hands?

barbless always for me!

F

Frothey

yep, guess i do. its an arguement that'll go on forever with both sides claiming the moral high ground - and both types of water's will have fish with damaged mouths.

steveo

Reaction score
I think I'll sit on the fence regards barbed vs barbless as I have used both.Both have given good clean hook hold's and both have sometimes torn and damaged the mouth so who knows.I have found tho that the pattern of the hook has more relevance to the kind of hookhold.However when you then add the type of water you are fishing,gravel,silt,sand,weed,hook size,test curve,how the angler plays and unhooks the carp,does he use kilinc or not,are the fish big,small,presured or not,what type of rig,how the carp feed's,size of lead and millions of other permutations then its pretty hard to give a definitive answer.Phew /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

R

Roto Fryer

because there is no definitive answer other than a barb will tear on the way out no matter how good you are!

F

Frothey

because there is no definitive answer other than a barbess will tearas it moves aroundno matter how good you are!

B

Bill Cox

I think you'll find the definitive answer is that ALL hooks of ALL types damage mouths however good you are.

R

Roto Fryer

i can prove my stance mr scuma can you? i doubt it very much! annectotal evidence only, I suspect!

C

Cakey

theres a small skill in unhooking a barbed hook without causing damage........................

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
" can prove my stance mr scuma can you?"

Passing shot from Roto: 15-30

Seemingly we have a streaker here on Centre court:
"theres a small skill in unhooking a barbed hook without causing damage........................"

"show me the paper Roto....."

Ace service from Frothey: 30 ALL.

C

Cakey

image0022.gif

F

Frothey

i reckon " can prove my stance mr scuma can you?" was a desperate, poorly executed lob that left the court wide open.......