Is being 50 yards from your rods acceptable?

Blunderer

Reaction score
I have had an argument on a carp fishing forum where I took someone to task because he believed that being 50 yards from your rods was fine.

Most clubs I have been in would have your card if they caught you, and the EA certainly would.

What do you think? Was I right or him? He never mentioned fishing in open water or snags or anything, he just said "If I want to walk 50 yards up the bank I will". And the majority of carp anglers on that forum agreed with him and said I was being holier than thou.

The forum is not really a forum for top class carp anglers, it attracts the younger element. I think this attitude is indicative of the F**k you attitide of lots of modern carpers.

Am I being pedantic?

The Monk

Reaction score
50 yards away from the r, if cast out of course, is unaccetable, its also illegal because you are not in control. What site is this mate?

Blunderer

Reaction score
http://www.carpforum.co.uk/Shared/Messages.asp?TopicID=163925&ReadAll=1

The original post says "Is it acceptable to be 50-75 yards from your rod when fishing near snags" to which the guy I argued with, "Bream_Boy" says "If i want to be 50 yards away from my rods I will". He then tries to jusify it by saying he can be at his rods quicker than someone asleep in abivvy.

I am pretty much the lone voice telling him he is in the wrong.

F

Fred Bonney

Paul,stick to your guns.

People shouldn't, in my opinion, be sleeping with theirtackle in the water either, but that's another point.

The Monk

Reaction score
I`m more alert asleep than many I know who are wide awake

Gary Newman

Reaction score
Generally I'd say not, but if you're fishing open water and have popped down the bank to take a quick photo for someone or to borrow something from a mate then it could be seen as acceptable, although still totally illegal in the eyes of the EA.
Sometimes when snag fishing just being five yards from your rods or asleep in a bivvy next to them is too far.

The Sogster

Reaction score
To answer the thread title - NO.

Of course there is the unattended rods byelaw. Which states:

<u>"It is unlawful to leave a rod and line, that is unattended, in the water or over which sufficient control can not be effected."</u>

Pretty vague I'm afraid. However I do believe that if using 3 rods it is against national byelaws to have the two outermost rod butts more than 3 metres apart. This is the maximum distance an angler can be from any rod and still be lawfully in control.

Stick to your guns Blunderer the person in question is obviously an idiot.

steveo

Reaction score
Blunderer you are totally in the right mate.

If its the carp forum with the union jack on it sfront page then I agree also that is predominantly full of young magazine carpers that think they know it all cos they have read crafty carper etc.I actually was banned from this forum last year for daring to put a point of view across that wasnt written down in the mags,I was ridiculed for not saying the same rubbish as the rest of them.

Back to the Carp fishing,I have on occasions strayed away from my rods for short periods of time when answering the call of nature and whan I thought Ive heard a Carp crash out and I cant see it etc,although not 50+ meters.I got away with it but It should not be done and I dont do it know.If you wanna go looking for fish or have a social then reel in.Also in the case of snag fishing then the angler has to be by the rods always.

I mean there is no other branch of fishing where its acceptable to walk away from the rods.Imaging what could happen if your 50 meters away whilst Pike fishing!!

Stick to your guns mate your right.

F

Frothey

Imaging what could happen if your 50 meters away whilst Pike fishing!!

Does happen though with any branch of anglingthat uses buzzers.

F

Frothey

who hasn't been banned from crapforum lol!

whats the best realtreestainless to use when fishing with the best pineapple pop-up? on a chod of course.....

Morespiders

Reaction score
Or without buzzers.

Out of order, tell the bloke he's an arsehole and dont bother with the site.

Reaction score
That man ( or boy) is a **** , and I amnot saying thats his name either , how much line as that carp taken while he is doing the50 yard dash , and where to , the nearest snag , where it will be bullied out by this fine angler , like I have said , this person is a **** .

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Fred Bonney(ACA/BS/BTO) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Paul,stick to your guns.

People shouldn't, in my opinion, be sleeping with theirtackle in the water either, but that's another point.</blockquote>

Fred , I don`t know if you have done any long sessions , 24 hour plus for carp but you need in the main to keep your baits out , unless you are useing floaters which as you will know is another ball game ( the best in my opinion ) .

I don`t sleep as I normaly do at home , I am dressed for one thing and lay on top of the sleeping bag on the bed , with boot inners on , so I can cat nap but be up if the buzzers go , the thing is that when I just get a liner , I am up , a light sleeper , so 3 or 4 liners dueing the night and I give up on the will to sleep , if I am really knackered and know there is a chanch of sleeping through the buzzers , I will then reel in .

If you are a heavy sleeper , then yes don`t chance it , reel in , plus don`t expect to sleep as you can at home , if so reel in .

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I agree, I wouldn't be further than 5 yards from my rods whilst they were cast out.

A little research shows that the average human running speed is about 7.33 yards a second meaning that assuming this guy is average it would take him 6.82 seconds to reach his rods on flat bank with no obstacles and that's if he started running the instant his alarm went off.

Carpless

Reaction score
Ah they're talking crap. Of course when sleeping, dealing with a fish or answering the call of nature you are extending the time you will take to get to your rods, but any respectful angler will always try to minimise this and be prepared. These are things that can be difficult to avoid but just because we make exceptions for these necessities doesn't mean we are allowed to just leave the rods for whatever reason. Its like saying "well I was 50 yards from the rod for an hour without a take so i may aswell have gone to the shops and back". Threads like that which makes me happy I'm on FishingMagic.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
The reason many think it is ok to be away from your rods is simple, receivers. Transmitters.

Why for gods sake do these alarms have a range of 200 metres, and if anyone out there can run 100 yards under 10 seconds, you just won a gold medal. A range of 10 metres is more than enough.

No never leave your rods.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Totally agree.

Blunderer, tell the muppets to come on FM if they want to debate it!

Stick to your guns mate, if you get banned.............so what!

Carpless

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ray Daywalker Clarke wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Why for gods sake do these alarms have a range of 200 metres, and if anyone out there can run 100 yards under 10 seconds, you just won a gold medal. A range of 10 metres is more than enough.</blockquote>

I think the reason being is so they perform well in a dense environment or bad weather. A 10m transmission will deteriate a lot more over 10m in bad weather than a 200m one. The problem is however that they only need to be used where a sounder box isn't suitable (e.g. rods in the water, path between you and rod etc) and not when you want to go for a chat with your mate 2 swims up.

John Heelis

Reaction score
50 mtrs is a long way, unless you are a sprinter, therefore i would class the rod as being un-attended. hence it would become illegal.

as for the site that think it's ok to fish this way, i'd stay well clear.

thats why i picked FM.