Avoiding ducks whilst surface fishing

T

Terry Ellis

I recently had an afternoon's surface fishing for carp completely ruined by hordes of ducks and swans. When I was telling a friend about this he said that the way to get rid of water fowl is to get a powerful green laser pen and shine it at them. He said they were about £25 and don't get a cheap one. He did not say where you could get one, presumably a stationary stores. Can anyone else confirm this and if so where do I get one?

T

Terry Ellis

The laser beam should be safe, they are used for pointing to items on a screen during a presentation.

T

Terry Ellis

The laser beam should be safe, they are used for pointing to items on a screen during a presentation.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Hmm, ducks can be nuisance but is potentially damaging their eyesight with a powerful laser the way forward?

I would say not.

Sometimes there is no safe and reasonable solution other than fish elsewhere or wait until there are fewer ducks around.

We humans can fall into the trap of thinking that we are entitled to do what we want wherever we want and whenever we want at the expense of other creatures who are certainly living much more harmoniously with the environment than we are.

Not having a dig at you there Terry but seriously don't go blinding the poor little beggars.

Wouldn't be good for angling's image if nothing else.

T

Terry Ellis

If a laser pen was capable of blinding any creature they would not be on general sale. Even if they could cause damage at point blank range they would not cause any damage at a rod length away which is the closest that ducks normally get to an angler.

N

Nobby C (ACA)

Why not coat chum mixers with chilli oil? Carp like it but I'm not sure if ducks would.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Class 1M

Class 1M lasers are products which produce either a highly divergent beam or a large diameter beam. Therefore, only a small part of the whole laser beam can enter the eye. However, these laser products can be harmful to the eye if the beam is viewed using magnifying optical instruments. Some of the lasers used for fibre-optic communication systems are Class 1M laser products.Class 2

Class 2 lasers are limited to a maximum output power of 1 milliwatt or one thousandth of a watt (abbreviated to mW) and the beam must have a wavelength between 400 and 700 nm. A person receiving an eye exposure from a Class 2 laser beam, either accidentally or as a result of someone else's deliberate action (misuse) will be protected from injury by their own natural aversion response. This is a natural involuntary response which causes the individual to blink and avert their head thereby terminating the eye exposure. Repeated, deliberate exposure to the laser beam may not be safe. Some laser pointers and barcode scanners are Class 2 laser products.Class 2M

Class 2M lasers are products which produce either a highly divergent beam or a large diameter beam in the wavelength range 400 to 700 nm. Therefore, only a small part of the whole laser beam can enter the eye and this is limited to 1 mW, similar to a Class 2 laser product. However, these products can be harmful to the eye if the beam is viewed using magnifying optical instruments or for long periods of time. Some lasers used for civil engineering applications, such as level and orientation instruments are Class 2M laser products.Class 3R

Class 3R lasers are higher powered devices than Class 1 and Class 2 and may have a maximum output power of 5 mW or 5 times the Accessible Emission Limit (AEL) for a Class 1 product. The laser beams from these products exceed the maximum permissible exposure for accidental viewing and can potentially cause eye injuries.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These classifications are based however on the human eye and the wavelengths / frequencies it is sensitive to, different animals eyes work in different ways and can be more or less sensitive than our own. Consequently you could quite feasibly blind a duck with a laser classified as 'safe'. Personally I wouldn't take the risk.

stuart clough

Reaction score
Had success with dark red dyed mixers once, fed sparingly alongside plain ones it appeared that the birds (moorhens) couldnt see the red ones, but the grass carp still liked em. Same tactic has failed since, but might be worth a go.

I

Ian Cloke

Terry, lasers are dangerous, and NOT made/intended to be used in such a way. If memory is correct, a youth was charged with pointing a lsaer at a bus driver, whilst he had a bus full of passengers, so by causing an accident. Also it does state on most of these gadgets "Do not point a faces", let alone eyes, so that should tell a story......

{Edit} Paul has put my point far more "proppa"..........

Reaction score
Why not just feed them in an area where your not fishing, and keep on feeding them, then fish a different area, at the end of the day, you will never totaly eradicate the problem, without harming the wildlife, so either put up with it, fish somewhere else, or fish a different method, at the end of the day a few hours fishing is not worth the life of an innocent duck (

Unless you have one from a shop for dinner)/forum/smilies/surprised_smiley.gif

Ryan

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Laser selection isn't the problem here......

The major decision to overcome is......... What calibre riffle to attach it to!

/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Cakey wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>chum mixer soaked in night nurse.....................</blockquote>
How does that help?

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Fish can takeit aswell. Shooting far more selective..........

Duck very tasty! ....... Nice with pasta/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

slime monster

Reaction score
duck mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm no, i am a builder and very occasionally use lasers on large awkward setting out jobs on one such occasion my apprentice decided it would be a fun thing to shine the laser in my face .....he has never done that again,

to get back to the origin of the thread terry the only way you can keep ducks etc at bay is when pole fishing on the top for match size carp by shooing them away with the pole ,but on rod and line if they are resident and persistent you are on a hiding or nothing even if you have a clear period they will come back ,its soul destroying and time to find a duck free venue.

Barney 2

Reaction score
Terry,

Been there, often. They don't like a landing net held aloft and waved. (Geese @ 20 feet). Best of all is a well trained Retriever with a good hard stare, sitting on the bank. (Geese @ 40 feet).

For Ducks, times all of above by 1.5. Swans may be more punchy, so halve the above distances. Other than that, consider yourself mugged and start again somewhere else.

This is my best advice after many eveningsofsurface fishing. Welltelly is c+@p.OK?