washed out boilies

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
I had a small pot of lake water into which I put several big 26mm boilies, the pot has been on a dark shelf in my shed for over two months now. The boilies have expanded a little and lost some of their colour and they will split if squeezed fairly hard.

Would they still be ok to use ? bearing in mind that they are now bigger and lighter than the ones in the original packet.

When would be a good time to use washed out baits ?

also bearing in mind that they have not broken down completely in two months surely if I had chucked a load out into a lake and they had not been eatenthey would still be sitting there on the lake bed, how long before they would become bad for the fish ?

incidentally one of the boilies I put in the pot Id tied into a piece of boilie size pve tube and the pva knot was still very clearly sitting at the bottom of the pot

any one use wash outs on a regular basis and can offer some advice please......

R

Roto Fryer

normally you should soak baits for one or two days before using them. give them a go as you have nothing to lose.

when you buy or make boilies it is a good idea to put a few in a bucket of water and see what happens to them.

when i was making boilies mine started to break down at 2 days ish and by 4 days they had melted

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
Thanks Roto. The ones I have are shelf lifes but if they havent broken down after 8 weeks in water then im not really sure anglers should be piling loads into a venue. Ive put some of the other boilies i use into water and im monitoring how long they take to break down.

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Trev

A question does tap water attack boilies like lake water ?. Lake water can be slighty acidic or slight alkaline, also the small bugs in the water can effect the boilies.

I was of the opinion that washed out boilies were used on waters where the fish are spooked by fresh high flavour high colour bait and leave bait a long time before trying it.

lake water is best to leave the bait soacking in and I would only soak the bait for 24 to 36 hours before using it.

Tight Lines

Ian G

C

Cakey

Ive never ever found the need to use them........................

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
Ian I dont know if there is a difference between tap water and lake water. I will start again tommorrow morning with identical boilies , some in tap water and some in lake water.

if there is a difference ill photo them and let you all see.

The big ones I have had for 8 weeks in lake water and they are just about at the same consistency as frozen boilies that have thawed out.

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
As Roto stated earlier some boilies are made with to much preservative in them which can cuase them to stay in tack for weeks. I have to admit to being uncomfortable with this thought and I would move onto a different bait if I had eveidence of my baits lasting so long.

Trev you will have to be careful with your test as you may not be able to keep the little bugs alive in your jar ?. But It would be good to try and see what happens.

I went to a boilie manufacturertoday and watched as they made about a ton of boilies.

Loaded the car to the roof top with bait for my next session, only trouble is I cant get it all in the freezer DAM.

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
Ian if you have a car full of freezeer baits for your next session, perhaps youre throwing too much in lol.

Take some of em to Thorpe Lea when you do the circus and dish em out as freebies /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Trev

Thanks for the heads up mate I did wonder why I was struggling to catch anything. Perhaps 100kg a day is a little to much please let me know as this fishing game is costing me a fortune at the moment.

Regarding the Thorpe lea event So as well as gining away a whole selection of fishing teach ins and advise and practical lessons you now want me to arrange a selection of free gifts for everyone.

Would you like me to sort the food out as well and arrange for someone to tuck youi into your sleeping bag and supply hot choclate as well perhaps ?. LOL

Give an inch and take a mile. I am sure I might be able to do something ! dont ask what at the moment. It looks like its just you and me anyway LOL.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"Would you like me to sort the food out as well and arrange for someone to tuck youi into your sleeping bag and supply hot choclate as well perhaps ?."

Only necessary for those of you (less fortunates) that don't have a Bivvy Butler.

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
Ian I want to be a coach just like you one day.... I think your great. It it turns out to be just you and me at Thorpe Lea then thats fine by me. Im a good learner and I will be happy to pay. In fact at the minute I will be happy to catch fish./forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif