Cork handled carp rods?

Reaction score
I really like the look of them but I'm not to sure as I want rods with a 50mm butt ring. But the sonik sk3 xtr has 50mm but rings and that's the only one in my price range that I can find. as my price range is about 120 and below and also nothing but 3lbtc. Can anyone give me an idea of some full cork rods that are worth the money or if you think I should just bin the idea of getting full corks thanks.

justin ackroyd

Reaction score
I have a fox ranger xts 3lb tc, cost me 100 from Eric's. Cracking rod, don't if can still get the same deal, I got mine at Christmas.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I really like the look of them but I'm not to sure as I want rods with a 50mm butt ring. But the sonik sk3 xtr has 50mm but rings and that's the only one in my price range that I can find. as my price range is about 120 and below and also nothing but 3lbtc. Can anyone give me an idea of some full cork rods that are worth the money or if you think I should just bin the idea of getting full corks thanks.

Rather than binning the full cork idea, bin the 50mm butt ring one. 50mm rings offer next to nothing with regards to the performance of the rod and are little more than a fashion statement.

A revolution in rod component layout and design - YouTube

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Rather than binning the full cork idea, bin the 50mm butt ring one. 50mm rings offer next to nothing with regards to the performance of the rod and are little more than a fashion statement.

I agree with Sam, they are also more prone to breakage. I can confirm that personally having just broken two cork handled Free Spirit rods.

Free spirit charge about £20 per rod to put cork handles on their standard rods. I was having a mooch through and Sonic now do a standard rod with a cork handle I have heard that they are decent rods. The Free Spirit rods are nice but expensive.

I don't get the ever thinner butt fashion that seems to be all the rage, The Free Spirit butts are pencil thin with no grip worth mentioning, I much prefer a proper cork handle to grip on to. As you cast there is a natural tendency for the reel to want to twist in your grip, I know that you are holding by the reel foot but it still doesn't feel as secure as when you have a proper handle to hold.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I also prefer the cork handle, still using late 90's Balista Slims made up with cork - wouldn't swap 'em.
Jerry

carp_mad_man

Reaction score
carpertillidie, I have the Fox warrior S full corks. Love them, fantastic rod for the money, nice cork, quality guides and I have cast them around 100 yards with 15lb mono - 2.5oz lead, and small baitrunner reel! They aren't 50mm butts but I have caught fish right under the tip to at the range stated all with ease and joy. I was worried about damaged the cork and making it turn nearly black with age and use but all I did was shrink wrap it with clear tubing. Just like the clear shrink tube you use for hooks, just much much bigger. It is grippy, keeps the cork look and is tough as hell! Smack a knife against it and it won't even make a proper cut! Love it as I, like some, really use and abuse my rods and uncovered cork might well be in tatters if I hadn't protected them. Just an idea.

the Carp Mad Men

B

binka

I was worried about damaged the cork and making it turn nearly black with age and use but all I did was shrink wrap it with clear tubing. Just like the clear shrink tube you use for hooks, just much much bigger. It is grippy, keeps the cork look and is tough as hell! Smack a knife against it and it won't even make a proper cut! Love it as I, like some, really use and abuse my rods and uncovered cork might well be in tatters if I hadn't protected them. Just an idea.

Not quite the same thing I appreciate but I have 2 x Fox Warrior deadbait rods with the full cork handles (which i'm thinking will be the same) and I abuse 'em just about as much as you can... fish guts, Predator Plus, scent oils, mud, you name it and they scrub up like new everytime.

Very tough too, i'm always clanking 'em around exposed on a two rod quiver with baitrunners clanking into each other and they've not nicked or dented... not the best practice on my behalf but that's me :)

csmith10

Reaction score
What about the wychwood solace classics? The 3lb TC come with 50mm butt rings and each rod is about £80 I think but if you keep an eye on eBay you can pick them up second hand pretty cheap.
I bought a pair if 3.5's for a catfish trip this year, they were secondhand but new If that makes sense. I paid about £110 posted!! Lovely rods too!

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Cork cleans up nicely with a wipe of a wet cloth with some bleach - can then look as good as new. Shouldnt go black unless left damp for a long time.

I am with Sam on this - those oversized Butt rings are more of a design statement than a functional advantage.

fishingjack

Reaction score
Got cork handles on my lure rods. They are nice.

What the heck is with this 50mm butt ring craze???

Pro's + cons???? :confused: