Finding a distance rod

fishingjack

Reaction score
My carp rods now are about 10 years old and I bought them used so they will be older still.
I've got 2.5lb tc shimano symmetres and I'm looking for an additional rod to achieve more distance. My current rods throw a 2 or 3 ounce lead very far but the parabolic action seems to hinder that a bit.

Ideally I'm trying to find a fast action (quick tip, stiff butt) rod, probably in 13ft and with a high test curve. I like to throw method feeders but I can put a big distance lead on there some times.

It seems pretty hard to discover if a rod is through action, medium action or fast action. Not many companies seem to state this. The specific distance rods appear to carry a premium, however I think you can probably find a rod with similar properties out there not marketed as a distance rod.

It's difficult to read customer reviews because 90 yards might be a big cast for one angler where 160 yards is a big cast for another.

The rod I get is actually going to be butchered to make it work with a multiplier anyway so a good value new rod or a good value used rod is probably best. Not a £250 or £300+ monster.

IMG_00000184.jpg

Does anyone know of a stiff carp rod at a good price that can launch a lead out far?

I just missed out on a nice 13ft 3.5tc sonik sk4 on ebay. The first time i was outbid and the winner cancelled their offer. The second time (same rod) my phone dropped it's 3G signal and upon hitting confirm on the bid it timmed out. It sold for £58 :mad:

cg74

Reaction score
You might be better off looking at a 2-4oz cast rated bass rod than a carp rod. The best distance rods I've owned were Kevin Maddocks Challenger 2's. Though they're old rods now there are still a few about.

fishingjack

Reaction score
You might be better off looking at a 2-4oz cast rated bass rod than a carp rod. The best distance rods I've owned were Kevin Maddocks Challenger 2's. Though they're old rods now there are still a few about.

Thanks cg74,

I don't know much about bass rods and I have nowhere local to test one as I'm as far inland as you can get. That probably would have been ideal as it would have saved me needing to modify a rod.

cg74

Reaction score
Sorry my answer is so sketchy, but if you really want to cast a genuine 140m+ I think you'll find it's only ever going to be a beachcaster and for a bit of finesse you need to look at bass rods.

Maybe try looking at a few sea fishing forums??

Nash do a long range carp rod that is claimed to be capable of casting 170m but how much is down to the anglers ability and how much is attributable to the rod; I don't know.

fishingjack

Reaction score
Sorry my answer is so sketchy, but if you really want to cast a genuine 140m+ I think you'll find it's only ever going to be a beachcaster and for a bit of finesse you need to look at bass rods.

Maybe try looking at a few sea fishing forums??

Nash do a long range carp rod that is claimed to be capable of casting 170m but how much is down to the anglers ability and how much is attributable to the rod; I don't know.

Yeah I realise so much is down to technique at that stage. Thanks.

I've gone for a stiff fast action carp rod for now as I saw this thread after the purchase. I actually enjoyed modifying the last rod. The comparison of a 2.5lb through action vs a 3.25lb fast action/progressive rod will be interesting.