What size hook Carp to 8lb

adders

Reaction score
Hi what size hook would you use with pellet band 6mm pellets for carp 1lb to
8lb max

Feeder fishing with method feeder and 8lb line, 7lb hook link

adders

Reaction score
wow, I think this is where my problem has been using hooks 10 and 12 !

18 / 16 seem very small for 8lb carp

I will be hair rigging with bait band

C

chefster

wow, I think this is where my problem has been using hooks 10 and 12 !

18 / 16 seem very small for 8lb carp

I will be hair rigging with bait band

A QM1 hook is a circle hook,and once they are in they dont come out!...a bait with a smaller hook will be sucked up with more confidence than a bigger hook..i use preston Reflo 0.17mm or 0.19mm h/length,these are about 8 and 9 lb bs,this set-up with a soft action rod will land carp up to high doubles...Cheers Gaz

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I fish banded pellets on the method and tend to use Kamasan B960 in size 14 for 6mm pellets or size 16 for 4mm pellets. If fishing corn or meat I hair-rig it using a Korum or Drennan quickstop on a size 14 or 16 Preston PR38.

Keith M

Reaction score
Catching small Carp (up to around 9lb or 10lb) using Size 16 hooks and 4lb line is fine as long as you are using a nice light forgiving through actioned rod and there are not too many snags in front of you.

Just check your clutch is not too tight before you put your rod in its rest and don't try to bring the Carp in before it's ready.

Take your time; don't try to rush things; and you should be fine.

We regularly catch Carp of this size using commercial match rods with 4lb hooklengths and size 16 hooks on club match pools; and we rarely get any problems.

best of luck

Keith (BoldBear)

Last edited:

cg74

Reaction score
A QM1 hook is a circle hook,and once they are in they dont come out!...a bait with a smaller hook will be sucked up with more confidence than a bigger hook..i use preston Reflo 0.17mm or 0.19mm h/length,these are about 8 and 9 lb bs,this set-up with a soft action rod will land carp up to high doubles...Cheers Gaz

Guru QM1's may share a lot of similarities with circle hooks, but I wouldn't call it them 'circle hooks' per se.
The closest matches are the Kamasan B420 (sedge) and Drennan Starpoint.

Out of the three patterns mentioned I'd opt for the B420's, as I've found Guru hooks to be very inconsistent re quality; point sharpness, sharp edges on the eyes, burred hook tips....

As for hook sizes, I match the hook to the bait - A size 14 B420 to a 6mm bait, a size 12 to a 8mm.

Last edited:

Gonefishing

Reaction score
Hi what size hook would you use with pellet band 6mm pellets for carp 1lb to
8lb max

Feeder fishing with method feeder and 8lb line, 7lb hook link

A size 16 barbless hooks will be ok. For that size of fish and hookbait definitely not 10s and 12s.
Size 18 in my opinion are better suited to the lower end of your target species upto 5lb and with lighter line I.e 5-6lb.

Hope this helps.

sagalout

Reaction score
I did wonder if the OP was now sorted. 5 years since the question was asked :wh