Advice on boillies and baits

charliewhite999

Reaction score
I am involved in a herb and spice company which has found an intrest in the fish bait market. I am trying to find out information on what ingredients are commonly used in fishing baits or boilies . As a kean fisher myself i would also like to try and make my own boilies , any help on what commonly used herbs or spices are used in the industry would be greatly appreciated ! many thanks

pezzatron

Reaction score
Quick answer -

Chilli, Turmeric, Paprika, Curry Powder are all popular,

You don't really hear much about herbs though

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Does it really matter why they are effective and is there any real way of finding out we cannot ask them can we. It is not like asking a kid why he does or does not eat his sprouts.:wh

richiekelly

Reaction score
All these spices, but does anyone know WHY they find them attractive?

I have no idea why but have found that certain ones seem to be better for different species, my favourite for Barbel is garlic and it seems that the bait cannot be overloaded with it, just as an experiment I kept increasing the amount in a bait but it made no difference either way. when I fished for large roach it was pineapple essential oil (not a spice though that is it so doesn't count) ginger is one I have done quite well with but only on one water which makes it even more difficult.

Perhaps different fish species respond better to different ones? does the sensitivity of the olfactory system alter with different species? maybe that's why.

laguna

Reaction score
Perhaps the vast majority are just occasional 'hobby danglers' and have no interest in knowing why?
I could be wrong but I suspect 'thinking' or 'knowing' these things might spoil the enjoyment for many... tiinkers response seems to be typical in this regard.

And then we have the open minded thinking angler like blanker. Such a small minority, the thinking angler... a good non-insultive marketing strap line as it happens, yet most are happy not to be.

Frothey

Reaction score
Does it really matter why they are effective and is there any real way of finding out we cannot ask them can we. It is not like asking a kid why he does or does not eat his sprouts.:wh

It is - if they leave the, on a plate, hey don't like. If they wolf them down, they do

Can you overload chilli in a bait?

chav professor

Reaction score
Top consistent 'erbs and spices.... Fennel, garlic, chinese five spice, cassia (cinnamon), ginger..... Oh, and salt.... Not just Sodium Chloride ;) Pepper oil is a good inclusion...

cg74

Reaction score
Top consistent 'erbs and spices.... Fennel, garlic, chinese five spice, cassia (cinnamon), ginger..... Oh, and salt.... Not just Sodium Chloride ;) Pepper oil is a good inclusion...

You've listed; fennel, ginger and cinnamon, if you were to swap garlic for cloves and pepper oil for star anise, you'd have made your own Chinese Five Spice. ;) :D

nicepix

Reaction score
Different species have different olfactory sensitivity. Generally sight feeders such as trout have less capability than scent / taste feeders such as catfish. That said, even the most nasally challenged fish is likely to have several thousand times the scenting ability that we have.

Can you overload flavours? There was some research carried out on pollack where the fish were seen to prefer clams as food. Even if the clams were tainted with noxious substances the pollack still sought them out in preference to untainted alternative foods.

I suppose the $64,000 question is whether fish are attracted to the unnatural flavours such as garlic and chillie because the like the taste or whether they are attracted because they are curious and on finding a bait take it despite rather than because of the flavouring? I do not know of any research that would answer that question.

I believe that certain flavours; vanilla and fennel particularly, added to my baits results in my catching more fish. But I could never prove that.

richiekelly

Reaction score
Different species have different olfactory sensitivity. Generally sight feeders such as trout have less capability than scent / taste feeders such as catfish. That said, even the most nasally challenged fish is likely to have several thousand times the scenting ability that we have.

Can you overload flavours? There was some research carried out on pollack where the fish were seen to prefer clams as food. Even if the clams were tainted with noxious substances the pollack still sought them out in preference to untainted alternative foods.

I suppose the $64,000 question is whether fish are attracted to the unnatural flavours such as garlic and chillie because the like the taste or whether they are attracted because they are curious and on finding a bait take it despite rather than because of the flavouring? I do not know of any research that would answer that question.

I believe that certain flavours; vanilla and fennel particularly, added to my baits results in my catching more fish. But I could never prove that.

It would be nice to know the reasons why some are better than others for different species as it could open up so many more things as bait additives, for instance any vegetables that they might like the scent of that could be incorporated into a bait by drying out and blitzing it.

chav professor

Reaction score

Well, fennel seemed to improve things here too! Van Den Eyndes 'Roach' is superb and i'm certain its got fennel in it.

Anyone use Archie Braddock's flavours? Red Surprise, Floral and Red Surprise... all pretty unusual... Devastating sessions on these flavors. I had a theory that as this was a silty estate lake.. the addition of a smell helped the roach, perch and bream find the maggots.

---------- Post added at 17:18 ---------- Previous post was at 17:10 ----------

It would be nice to know the reasons why some are better than others for different species as it could open up so many more things as bait additives, for instance any vegetables that they might like the scent of that could be incorporated into a bait by drying out and blitzing it.

For some reason, some flavors/additives are really effective... others less so. Banana was a weird one. I have spoken to others who have experienced or used banana in the past.... Some rate it highly (it was one of Peter Stones favorite flavors for chub)... others writ it off as good as useless.

laguna

Reaction score
In order to establish what and why fish are attracted to certain things you first have to demystify many aspects; fishes biological functions, inherent capabilities, nutrition, attraction and palatability. Approaching the subject from a natural historical point of view would seem sensible and then attempt to apply those principles to angling and then species specific. The problems in doing so are multifold; not withstanding the fact that many anglers still refuse to accept that science has a part to play in their beloved sport and that some simply point blank refuse to accept that fish have preferences at all.

I concur with Christian's findings on banana for chub.

chav professor

Reaction score
In order to establish what and why fish are attracted to certain things you first have to demystify many aspects; fishes biological functions, inherent capabilities, nutrition, attraction and palatability. Approaching the subject from a natural historical point of view would seem sensible and then attempt to apply those principles to angling and then species specific. The problems in doing so are multifold; not withstanding the fact that many anglers still refuse to accept that science has a part to play in their beloved sport and that some simply point blank refuse to accept that fish have preferences at all.

I concur with Christian's findings on banana for chub.

Fishing is like poker... there is a skill/luck element as well as understanding how the game works from a pure mathematics perspective.

laguna

Reaction score
Fishing is like poker... there is a skill/luck element as well as understanding how the game works from a pure mathematics perspective.

An element of luck in all things, much the same as your swim/peg is the hand that you play with, a succession of wins with a full house (heavily stocked) or a Royal flush (big fish) with an understanding of flavours, baits, colours and attractants being largely superfluous. On a hard swim you need a poker face of stone and concentration to out wit ones opponent even, knowing your adversary intimately or cheat a little to force their hand.

If your in I'll see ya! :D

cg74

Reaction score
An element of luck in all things, much the same as your swim/peg is the hand that you play with, a succession of wins with a full house (heavily stocked) or a Royal flush (big fish) with an understanding of flavours, baits, colours and attractants being largely superfluous. On a hard swim you need a poker face of stone and concentration to out wit ones opponent even, knowing your adversary intimately or cheat a little to force their hand.

If your in I'll see ya! :D

Nice analogy but I wouldn't say an understanding (even a rudimentary understanding) of baits is largely superfluous.
It is an integral part of watercraft IMO.