Pairing Rods & Reels?

oldboots

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm in the process of upgrading my tackle and have ordered a set of Sonik SK3 XTR 2.75TC Rods to replace my current set of 3lb TC Rods. I was going to pair these with a set of Daiwa Emcast BR 5000a or 5500a Reels. However for £10 per reel more I can get Daiwa Tournament Linear S 5500 BR Reels which have several more quality features to them than the Emcast Reels (which do have many features themselves that make them a good deal anyway)!

However, the Tournament Linear S reels are not only feature packed they are also larger and heavier than the Emcast Reels and I'm wondering whether they would be overkill on the Sonik 2.75 TC Rods, as in too heavy, unbalanced, over sized etc.

My immediate fishing plans are to fish smaller waters of only a few acres with fish in up to low thirties rather than large pits and bigger fish therefore I don't need to cast great distances. I think the Tournament reels would match my 3lb TC rods brilliantly but I'm not sure they are a good match for the Soniks, however, I may never use the 3lb'ers again as the Sonik XTR Rods are built not only for close in work but also as a distance casting rod!

With the Tournaments I would be getting a lot more reel for only an extra tenner each but then my priority must be to have the right rods with the right reels, perhaps they will match perfectly, perhaps not so well, any advice please!

Regards,

Martin

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'm not remotely convinced that the size of a reel on a carp rod matters one jot in respect of weight and balance. Carp rods are sat on rests for the vast majority of their working life. When they are in hand, they are either chucking a dirty great lead/bag/bait, retrieving a dirty great lead or, hopefully, there's a half decent fish on the business end.

The biggest concern for most should be whether they really need a huge reel, with a massive spool. Most fishing ponds of a few acres simply don't need them. However, fashion seems to have overtaken logic in this respect. Most seem to use or want big pit reels (and high TC distance rods) even if they'll rarely have to cast more than fifty yards. This can certainly be excused if an individual wants one set up to cover absolutely every situation they might encounter. If there's absolutely no danger of them fishing big waters, that necessitate long casting distances, then it's worth thinking about why they really want gear capable of such performance.

There are a few compromise mini big pit reels out there and plenty of the more normal sized standard baitrunner reels are perfectly capable if you aren't needing to cast to the horizon.

nocatch

Reaction score
Could not agree more with Sam.
What distance do you NEED to cast ?
Please do not be a 'tackle tart' !
Big/small pit reels are 'generally' not needed unless you fish large venues.
I would suggest look at durability/bearing number and of course has to have bait runner....
Sam imho is correct
Rgds
Mike

Beaker

Reaction score
I have had this problem, I looked around and asked other anglers some were helpful and even asked me to try there gear.
I have now found what I think is my perfect set up. I now am really confident that my tackle will not let me down.
So my advice would be to look around in your local tackle shop and walk around the waters you intend to fish and see what others are using,

smufter

Reaction score
I have 2 Chub Outkast SW (Small water) rods, 11' in length and 2.25tc. I suppose I use these 90% of the time as I generally fish smaller waters and chuck no more than say 50 yards with light leads, singles or stringers etc. I have a pair of Daiwa Regal Z 4000's on these as they are the ideal size. Not too big, not too small, perfectly balanced in fact. Light, as are the rods, and I could quite happily hand hold them fishing floaters or stalking all day. I use 10lb line on these, spare spools loaded with 12. Average stamp of fish is up to 30lb, and with this set up I can be pretty mobile, moving to where the fish are showing, or as I say, do a little bit of stalking.
On my other "beefier" rods (12' Outkasts) I have the same reels but in 5000 size. Not big pits, but they are considerably larger (and heavier) than the 4000's. I will use this set up if I am fishing larger waters or waters that are a bit snaggier or are likely to contain bigger fish than my usual lakes.
I am off to France at the end of June, and the lake I am fishing holds Carp up to mid 40's and is quite snaggy apparently, (I haven't fished it before). The venue may involve longer chucks, certainly involves using heavier line (rules state 15lb minimum) and I have been advised that it is very rare for the carp to take a bait off the surface. What is it with French fish and surface baits lol!
The 12 footers and the 5000's will be making the trip as I am likely to be using heavier leads and PVA bags and they are likely to be spending most of their time on the rod rests.

Last edited:

mick b

Reaction score
Oldboots,

You are talking about a quarter of a pound difference in test curve........:eek:mg:

Do you REALLY think the manufacturers have measured their rods that accurately, because if you do you need your head screwing back on the right way round:eek:mg:

Get your present rod and hang 3lb of lead on the end and measure the curve, then do the same with your proposed 'replacement' rod, and you will not be able to notice any difference in the two.

Remember Walker caught a 44lb Carp on a 1.5lb test curve rod and a 300 sized reel and Yates didn't go for overkill either.

Your post reads as if you've been reading to many catalogs rather than handling the rods and reels....time for a reality check don't you think?.

Reaction score
Oldboots,

You are talking about a quarter of a pound difference in test curve........:eek:mg:

Do you REALLY think the manufacturers have measured their rods that accurately, because if you do you need your head screwing back on the right way round:eek:mg:

Get your present rod and hang 3lb of lead on the end and measure the curve, then do the same with your proposed 'replacement' rod, and you will not be able to notice any difference in the two.

Remember Walker caught a 44lb Carp on a 1.5lb test curve rod and a 300 sized reel and Yates didn't go for overkill either.

Your post reads as if you've been reading to many catalogs rather than handling the rods and reels....time for a reality check don't you think?.

Yates' rod used to land the 51 08 record was ONE POUND test curve
Rods ARE tested/rated accurately, mine were, almost to the gram mate
This is how you tell:
Spool up with BRAID
Tie a BIMINI TWIST to a set of digitals
Stand about twenty yards away, and heave into the setup properly, until you can pull no more.. get a friend to read a few numbers at 'destruction curve' i.e that you are about to either break line or rod.
My rating was 7.5 pound pull.
Add 4 pounds. That is the line rating of the rod. It also equates to the test curve (test curve times five equals line rating).
Also test the hell out of lines and knots. Work out what knot strength of what line matches your rod, and hey presto you are fishing with balanced tackle :wh

---------- Post added at 16:33 ---------- Previous post was at 16:24 ----------

Hi,

I'm in the process of upgrading my tackle and have ordered a set of Sonik SK3 XTR 2.75TC Rods to replace my current set of 3lb TC Rods. I was going to pair these with a set of Daiwa Emcast BR 5000a or 5500a Reels. However for £10 per reel more I can get Daiwa Tournament Linear S 5500 BR Reels which have several more quality features to them than the Emcast Reels (which do have many features themselves that make them a good deal anyway)!

However, the Tournament Linear S reels are not only feature packed they are also larger and heavier than the Emcast Reels and I'm wondering whether they would be overkill on the Sonik 2.75 TC Rods, as in too heavy, unbalanced, over sized etc.

My immediate fishing plans are to fish smaller waters of only a few acres with fish in up to low thirties rather than large pits and bigger fish therefore I don't need to cast great distances. I think the Tournament reels would match my 3lb TC rods brilliantly but I'm not sure they are a good match for the Soniks, however, I may never use the 3lb'ers again as the Sonik XTR Rods are built not only for close in work but also as a distance casting rod!

With the Tournaments I would be getting a lot more reel for only an extra tenner each but then my priority must be to have the right rods with the right reels, perhaps they will match perfectly, perhaps not so well, any advice please!

Regards,

Martin
Reels don't matter that much.. if you're not float fishing all day holding the rod then don't worry about it. Get what you want. Much more important to balance the setup.. Balancing setups has nothing to do with reel weight, it really means the rod's line rating and line actual bs. (please see my reply to somebody else one post up)
The tournament linears are fantastic brutes that will serve you very well mate I used to have a set but had to sell them to help fund some travelling

Last edited: