Test curve

wallop

Reaction score
Hi new to the forum
I would like to know what type of carping can I get away with using 2.5 lb test curve rods

john step

Reaction score
Just about 100% of what you are likely to encounter.As experience grows you may encounter the need for beefier rods. You will know when that time comes.
Further to that you should find the previous thread about 1.5lb test curve avon rods interesting.

Last edited:

fishingjack

Reaction score
You could land most carp on just about anything. 2.5lb is more than enough for the fish. For higher test curves it really seems to matter if you want to fish larger baits at larger distances.

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
I'd ask the owner of wherever you're planning to fish "what type of carping you can get away with"
Could be a short reply.

sam vimes

Reaction score
As long as you don't want extreme distance or heavy bag work, you'll be fine with 2.5lb test rods for the vast majority of UK carp fishing.

Nobby C (ACA)

Reaction score
Hi new to the forum
I would like to know what type of carping can I get away with using 2.5 lb test curve rods

Any type that doesn't involve hoofing out over 4 ounces of whatever. Go on, try the margins, I just don't understand this obsession with heavy TC rods. It's all about the action.

michaels

Reaction score
As already stated, no huge weights and not casting into the distant horizon, they will be absolutely fine, in my case I`m still using my first set of good carp rods I bought many many years ago. They are Jim Gibbinson Eclipse 2¼Ib multi range and I’ve not found them wanting, whatever task I`ve put them too...

Last edited:

symonh2000

Reaction score
Most of my carping is done at close range and I use 2 1/4 test curve rods.

One of them is a Silstar Diaflex and it is had a great action for playing fish both at longish range and close in.

I personally don't see much fun in playing fish on a rod that is capable of casting a Jack Russell terrier 150 yards.

dangermouse

Reaction score
I personally don't see much fun in playing fish on a rod that is capable of casting a Jack Russell terrier 150 yards.

Funny you should say that...

The other day I was chatting with my local purveyor of maggots, himself a keen barbel angler. He was telling me about the time his Jack Russel had snatched a piece of luncheon meat that he was just about to cast out. Luckily he noticed before he launched 8oz of lead and the dog across the Trent. And very luckily the barbed hook had only nicked the dog`s lip and was easily extracted.

cal_sutt

Reaction score
I've got two 2 3/4 lb test rods and I do most of my carping with these. They're great for lobbing out feeders and leads even if I'm not casting at very long range, its just handy having the power to be able to cast at such a range even if you're not going to. As for the fighting of the fish, I still get a good fight out of carp under the 10lb mark but when you hook something twice the size then you've got the rod to handle it. 2 3/4 lb test is definitely as far as I'd go, anything else would be far too much and 2 3/4 is (at times) a bit too much but you've got that added power there if it is ever needed. 2 1/2 lb test won't be much different but, like myself, try and have another rod like a float or feeder rod that you can do your lighter work with now and then.

noknot

Reaction score
Well I have just today ordered a pair of Solace 2.5lbs TC and Solace Mini Pits QD, and I bet I can hit 130+ yrds :)

---------- Post added at 13:31 ---------- Previous post was at 13:25 ----------

I've got two 2 3/4 lb test rods and I do most of my carping with these. They're great for lobbing out feeders and leads even if I'm not casting at very long range, its just handy having the power to be able to cast at such a range even if you're not going to. As for the fighting of the fish, I still get a good fight out of carp under the 10lb mark but when you hook something twice the size then you've got the rod to handle it. 2 3/4 lb test is definitely as far as I'd go, anything else would be far too much and 2 3/4 is (at times) a bit too much but you've got that added power there if it is ever needed. 2 1/2 lb test won't be much different but, like myself, try and have another rod like a float or feeder rod that you can do your lighter work with now and then.

To be honest Cal, It really is to understand how to use the rod blank, knowing how to compress it. I have cast over 100 Yrds with a 1.25 TC.....Look at Terry Edmonds!

barbelboi

Reaction score
Well I have just today ordered a pair of Solace 2.5lbs TC and Solace Mini Pits QD, and I bet I can hit 130+ yrds :)

---------- Post added at 13:31 ---------- Previous post was at 13:25 ----------

To be honest Cal, It really is to understand how to use the rod blank, knowing how to compress it. I have cast over 100 Yrds with a 1.25 TC.....Look at Terry Edmonds!

The old 55's given up then Kev?;)