Angler's Mail Mag. - Particle baits spark the carp in spring

law

Reaction score
I don't add much to my particle. I'll only add a bit of flavouring that compliments the boilies I'm using
At the mo, I'm using tigernut boilies, so I'm adding tigernut flavouring.

Salt is very misunderstood. Normal salt does nothing. Salt licks (the sort of thing you give rabbits and horses) is what fish like, but only pre spawning. Once they have spawned, it's useless.
Mark Holmes did a very god talk on salt. It's well worth a watch.

I don't see the point in anything else. The goodness is in the particle itself, so why try and change that? Other people will disagree, but I've do well on plain old pigeon conditioner and hemp.

markhib

Reaction score
Just read this article:- "Particle baits spark the carp in spring"

Particle baits spark the carp in spring

But what sweeteners and how much would be used, same for the salt how much.

Would the sweetener be Molasses and the Salt being Sea rock salt.

thanks
If I was cynical, I would say that Nash (the writer being sponsored by them) had recently started selling particles and if they didn't tell you which and how much salt and sweetener to put in, then you might buy their product.
I wonder if boilies work in spring?
Mark.

elzevir

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Particle baits are a summer bait, not a spring one

Personally I hate them, the mess, the stink, the bulk, as well as the fact that they are the single most overrated bait in carp fishing of all time bar none

Plus they are very toxic indeed to carp once they have gone off

Leave them in the sacks or preferably in the fields not even harvested yet is my advice

wanderer

Reaction score
The simple reality is here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl5705ylLzo

Excellent information.

He got it nearly right, I have been producing and using fermented particle for over 30 years, here is the method, mini tigers, chick peas, hemp, peanuts, soak in water and molasses for 4-5 five days, add rock salt, and boil for an hour, leave for at least a week, and reheat but don't boil at regular intervals, 4 days or so, the peanuts are the bait for me, but you can rehydrate air dried boilies in the liquid, when you have used all the bait don't throw the liquid away, use it to soak your next batch, deadly bait, but always buy giant redskin peanuts from health food outlets, never use bird nuts, and if you wish to restart fermentation, brewers yeast and molasess will do the job, keeps for ever.

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
To be honest, whilst I've played around with particles over the years, a mixture of Hemp and Maize, soaked and boiled in just water and used within a day or so, take some beating. Maybe a little hemp oil mixed in.

I agree with Law about salt, a bit of human grade Rock Salt or Calcium Chloride in the spring can help, after May though, never noticed that it made a hapenth of difference. I've found it more effective to put a small PVA stick of salt on the hook rather than mix it in the particle.

Tigers need to be allowed to go gloopy, which means letting them ferment a while.

The 'French Mix' type (groats, flaked maize, crushed hemp, patiblend + whatever takes your fancy) does improve with a week in the bucket to allow the 'milk' out of the groats and the oils to diffuse. A bit of sugar or mollases helps get it going.

Most of the additives I've tried have added more to the cost than the effectiveness.

Just a comment on effectiveness, they aren't the answer to the perfect bait but intelligent use of them as a ground bait does create a safe feeding zone, it attracts smaller fish to feed which in turn attracts the carp, get it right and they really get their heads down. Bait can either be particle or boily over the top. Pellet can achieve the same but to get a similar effect using just boily would cost a fortune.

Stu

Last edited:

wanderer

Reaction score
I don't know how big you have caught Stu, my PB is well over 40, and chris Yeats got much bigger, I quote Frank Warwick, I will use nuts where ever allowed, don't believe everything you hear about boilies, match anglers do not use them on carp venues, they aint good enough to take the money, I rest my case.

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
I don't know how big you have caught Stu, my PB is well over 40, and chris Yeats got much bigger, I quote Frank Warwick, I will use nuts where ever allowed, don't believe everything you hear about boilies, match anglers do not use them on carp venues, they aint good enough to take the money, I rest my case.
Well done, what case?

Stu

wanderer

Reaction score
Yes they do, Drayton reservoir is one example.

Zigs are king on Drayton, a white chocolate ten mil boilie suspended under a bagging waggler used to catch loads, now Zigs at 11 feet with buckets of slop spodded over the top, factory fishing, my idea of hell, I live pretty close but hate the place, never go near it.