Length of shock leader for spodding

player1

Reaction score
Just got myself a spod rod and reel.

What length leader should i tie to my floating braid?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Rather than muck about with shock leaders, I just use very heavy braid. The only issues I've encountered have been failures on my part, failing to soak the braid properly before casting and making a pigs ear of the cast.

law

Reaction score
Why do you think you need a shockleader?

I've never used a shock leader for spodding and have never cracked off/lost a spod/spomb. I regularly fish a lake where every day you need to put 20kilo of particle out to 100 yards, so my gear gets put through its paces.

If you ask me, unless you're going for 120 yard chucks, they aren't needed.

greenie62

Reaction score
.... I regularly fish a lake where every day you need to put 20kilo of particle out to 100 yards, so my gear gets put through its paces...

Seriously 7 tonnes / angler / year? :eek: - no wonder some fishery managers ban spodding on their waters! :eek:mg::confused:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Given the litigious nature of modern society and thinking of the potential injury should a packed spod crack off and hit someone, then I reckon a shock leader is an excellent idea.

If using mono main line then I tend to use 30lb B/S shock leader that is long enough to go from around 6 feet from the top of my rod down to about 7 or 8 turns on the reel spool.

In itself the 3rd Party Insurance given to all members of the Angling Trust is reason enough to join . . . . . . . IMHO, or at least go and source similar coverage from the market place.

law

Reaction score
thinking of the potential injury should a packed spod crack off and hit someone

Really? Have you ever actually heard of that happening?
Does that mean that when fishing a 3oz lead you'd need a shock leader in case the same happens? Or when casting a loaded feeder?
What about catapults. What will we to to prevent an overshoot which might hit someone?

sumtime

Reaction score
I've been in the vicinity on a number of occasions when beachcasting anglers have snapped off because they haven't used a shock leader (I have one on video somewhere). Some need educating. :rolleyes:

greenie62

Reaction score
.... Some need educating. :rolleyes:

An uphill task I'm afraid :eek: - some won't consider safer approaches - even when shown :eek: - It's always someone else's problem! - So much for 'common' sense! :eek:mg:

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Does that mean that when fishing a 3oz lead you'd need a shock leader in case the same happens? Or when casting a loaded feeder?
What about catapults. What will we to to prevent an overshoot which might hit someone?
Common sense in most cases. Obviously, a shortish range lob isn't going to be a problem but a full bloodied cast could be lethal if a crack off occurs. And to answer your question, yes, I have seen crack off's a number of times, mainly a long time ago when we were using lighter lines and leads were getting heavier, but I've seen idiots crack off on spods as well.

However, if you cause injury or damage through your actions, you are responsible legally. If you have been reckless, you may face criminal charges. If you are using mono, a shock leader as others have described will limit the possibility of this happening, or use heavier braid as Sam describes.

Law, I hope I'm not on the opposite bank when you're spodding. Body armour and a helmet aren't part of my angling clothing!

Stu

law

Reaction score
I meant, have you seen a crack off that's hit someone.

You do know that things loose velocity the further they go right?

Haha. Face criminal charges? Really? I'd bet my house that that will never happen.

As I said, I've never cracked off and I've never used shock leader. I used 20lb braid straight through for years and was loading up a large spomb and had no problems at all. The only reason I went to 50lb braid is the lighter stuff seems to get wind knots occasionally.

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
The only reason I went to 50lb braid is the lighter stuff seems to get wind knots occasionally.
Law, if you are using 50lb Braid, your whole setup is one almighty shock leader.

No, not seen anybody hit, fortunately but have seen leads flying across lakes in the general vicinity of other anglers. Not sure that the fact that they missed is really the point though.

Stay lucky.

Stu

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score

Not "heard of" per se, but seen, twice last season on a club lake!

The first time the lead landed just in front of an angler on the opposite side of the lake and the second time, 5 weeks later a loaded feeder hit another angler on the leg.

law

Reaction score
There you go.
Best get shock leadering on every reel folks.

---------- Post added at 23:24 ---------- Previous post was at 23:23 ----------

Law, if you are using 50lb Braid, your whole setup is one almighty shock leader.

Stu

Exactly.
Theres always more than one way to skin a cat and all that....

Which brings me back to my initial statemant. Unless youre chucking 120 yards plus, theres no need for a shock leader.

Last edited:

law

Reaction score
Good luck casting that far with 50lb braid straight through.....
Hence the reason for lighter/lower diam braid, and a shock leader.

law

Reaction score
Hence the original question, it was you arguing against.

Let's get back out there.

Stu

No. I said in my original post that a shock leader is not needed UNLESS you are casting 120yards plus, in which case you need a real low diam braid AND a shock leader.
Anything less the you can use heavier braid straight through, or just as I did for many years, but just suffered repeated wind knots, use 20lb straight through.