Best Boilies Of All Time

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I've never really used boilies until this season when I was given the nod on a certain one which was outfishing everything else.

So far its proving to a spectacularly effective fish repellant but judging by the unholy mess around my baitbox on Monday night it can draw slugs from about 100 yds away !
I honestly dont know how so many could get there that quickly.

Is that common to all boilies or am I just lucky ?

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Binka.

Majority of pellet producers are reducing oil levels because of the damage to fish and demands of commercial waters.

I always add a dab of superglue top and bottom of drilled pellets.

Its the water through the hole that splits them mainly.

Stuck with one boile?
ASAP or Source.

Graham

laguna

Reaction score
I've never really used boilies until this season when I was given the nod on a certain one which was outfishing everything else.

So far its proving to a spectacularly effective fish repellant but judging by the unholy mess around my baitbox on Monday night it can draw slugs from about 100 yds away !
I honestly dont know how so many could get there that quickly.

Is that common to all boilies or am I just lucky ?

Slugs do seem to eat everything in sight don't they skip?

I cannot vouch for your particularly 'spectacularly' effective fish repellents, nor shed light on the average speed of a garden mullusc, but you may have inadvertently found a way to rid your garden of slugs.... just throw a handful of those boilies into next doors garden? :D

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
With Skippys pace along the bank with

Rod pod
Wheelbarrow
Tackle Boxes
Armchair
Brolly
Etc. They would probably have beaten him to the swim of choice and be waiting for him to arrive anyway.

Keith M

Reaction score
If I had to list a few of my most productive flavours from the past the list would include Pineapple & Bun Spice, Honey & Bun Spice, Tuity Fruity, and Strawberry and I would still feel confident using these flavours today.
More recently I've had a lot of Carp using either Active-8 (with or without an activator dip) and 'Source' flavour.

I don't believe that there is a single ultimate flavour out there for all waters.

Keith

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
With Skippys pace along the bank with

Rod pod
Wheelbarrow
Tackle Boxes
Armchair
Brolly
Etc. They would probably have beaten him to the swim of choice and be waiting for him to arrive anyway.

I think they were plotted up waiting for me. Never seen anything like it before. There was absolutely no doubt they were mad for the bait....l picked the box up and there was a blank space surrounded by a seething mass of slug. Not little UN's either....proper jobs.

steve2

Reaction score
Best before Dates are just another con to make you throw away good bait.
Some of my baits are years old and still catch. It's only fish we are talking about and as far as I know none have a degree in nutrition.

No such thing as best baits, on any given day on any lake, everyone is using what they consider to be the best bait.

wes79

Reaction score
My own classic bollie carried the bestest bezzy intentions if that counts, not having the spare at the time I decided to get a little creative and make my kitchen look like Gregs on a Saturday morning LOL went all "YouTube" and stuff...never made anything like it before.

Ended up with empty packets of finely ground Semolina on the floor and dyed red fingers, came up with a bollie I named it "MEGA CHICKEN" :D looked like a Damson.........all lobsided and was a horrible green in the middle, the carp crew on the local pond said they were ok but didn't catch anything on them LOL, had to admire the lads not wanting to hurt my feelings but not having the meaness to tell me straight they were **** LOL, bless-em.

Did manage to get some positive feedback though, and constructive criticism that I won't put on the tub if they become commercials......

"They be givin they Barberl a bit o indigestion those might boyo" The Welshman :eek:

Mike: "They will see the planet out mate, you will only need one bollie all year, so great value & nice colour on the outside" :rolleyes:

Jim: "doubles as an excellent ledger weight pal....good for any river in spate, genius" :mad:

I've renamed them "EVERYDAY VALUE BRAND CHICKEN bollie"

They now live in my freezer awaiting the invention of a bollie conker championships......

Its a confidence thing.:eek:mg:

Last edited:

kenpm

Reaction score
Any flavour in a boilie is just a label to the fish to show it is food fish have zero affinity to flavours as we know them and it is more likely any attraction is in the base of the flavour or any amino profile it may have.....A bold statement perhaps but one I totally believe.

The sell by dates are a result of EU legislation and will eventually appear on any bait exported to Europe,take a look at a bag of Sensas groundbait for example.In the same batch of legislation was a proposed ban on any of the fluorescent dyes current used to make bright colours.

flightliner

Reaction score
Original Rod Hutchinsons seafood flavour was a good un, then my own and maybe hundreds more carpers "**** bait base mix" with a flavour of their choice, mine being either scopex or , if on the Trent Golden syrup.At the end of the day it did'nt matter that much so long as it was edible.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Not really much of a boilie user... however, on the rare occasions when i used to, I found dynamite's hi-attract monster crab to be a really good bait (I seem to remember Phil Smith mentioning them too in articles in CAT for barbel fishing). I have a few 10mm remnants in the bottom of a bag purchased in about 2004, I swear they smell the same now as they did then.

Trouble is, i've grown rather fond of these last little survivors - and knowing that they can't be replaced has meant i cant bring myself to use them! I'm thinking of giving them names.... :)

Keith M

Reaction score
Original Rod Hutchinsons seafood flavour was a good un

I remember opening a bottle of this stuff in my office for a small sniff once and it stunk out the whole office; if you shut your eyes you could imagine being next to the sea, the only thing missing were seagulls squawking. LOL.

It wasn't very popular with the wife either after stinking out her kitchen and the stench lasted for hours, however the Carp loved it LOL.

Keith

Last edited:

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Any one remember Monster Crab ?

I once made up a batch of Monster Crab boilies and as I was in the mood for cooking I decided to make a Chicken Casserole ?

When my wife came home she asked what the smell was and I told he I had made a casserole for dinner.

As I took it out of the oven the smell of Monster Crab hit me, I thought I had cleaned up the kitchen thoroughly, but obvious not enough.

I said the Chicken must have been off and it went straight in the Dustbin !!

Bob

wanderer

Reaction score
Done well on PCF, the Ghost, good all round bait but pales in to insignificance to the catch rates achieved on fermented particle baits, especially peanuts, the worlds greatest carp bait bar none.

wanderer

Reaction score
You silly boy, go backwards, the boilie manufacturers have created a myth, convenience baits, over priced, over hyped, ineffective, peanuts slaughter any boilie, ask Frank Warwick.

laguna

Reaction score
Sorry rude 'silly boy', I only deal in facts. Ignore mine, ask any independent lab technician for opinion of the dangers of peanuts.

---------- Post added at 00:23 ---------- Previous post was at 00:06 ----------

Ah! my mistake, I realise now you thought Rotenone was a brand didn't you? :D

wanderer

Reaction score
I know what you meant with the Rotenone comment, Peanuts, hmm, think there was a test carried out by Bruno Broughton some years ago, where by three tanks were used, tank one , pellets were fed, tank two peanuts, tank three boilies, results, tank one healthy weight gain, tank two, no effect weight and health maintained, tank three all the boilie fed fish died, it made the front page of the Angling Times, Rotenone, think on. Peanuts were the top bait for about two decades, the only danger is if they are not prepared correctly.